• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help me choose my Irons

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
Ok so I have limited the selections down based on price and type of club they are. Give me opinions and what shafts you would put in them. My specs are Driver swing--105m.p.h. Lie--- -3* Shaft--- -.75' grip--- -1/64

Cobra Forged CB
Ping S58
Cleveland CG Red
Bridgestone J33 Forged CB
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 06'
Cobra Carbon CB
Titleist 755 (maybe, little pricey)

Thanks for the help and please say whatever shaft you would put in the irons with the flex.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
S300 would be a safe bet...

If I had to choose any, I'd say the Titties. Maybe the Cobra CBs.

Honestly, my ultimate recommendation. Get some MP30s or MP60s.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'd take the J33's and slap some Nippon NS1150's in them, stiff. :)

Is that "lie 3*" meaning you need the lie angle changed by 3* from standard? If so I'd go with a forged iron. I don't think cast can easily be bent that much if so.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
Mizuno MP-30's, hands down... i got mine when i was at your cap, and loved them... im now down 3-4 strokes, and still love them... some forgiving when they need to be, but a TON of feel...

plus i picked mine up off ebay for $200 plus ship in like new condition.. and this was more than a year ago, so im sure prices have come down a bit.

OP
Lil_Huth

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
I always liked the Mizunos and such but I get my irons custom made in the factory and I dont wanna shell out over-the counter prices on Mizunos to get the custom fit. To answer ezra's question, yes I need em bent to 3* flat from standard. My 2 favorites that I listed so far out of the gates are the J33s and the Cobra Forged CBs.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Get yourself custom fit with degree and such, buy them from GG or something, and then send them into Mizuno to get them bent.

Also, if this is going to be one of the last iron sets you buy, don't cut corners. Buy what is best.

OP
Lil_Huth

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
See thats the thing, I am not cutting any corners by looking at the cobras or bridgestone. I am 17, and this in no way will be my last set of irons. I think the cobras and J33s have the same amount of feel as CB mizunos do. Now I do agree no blade or MB beats the mizunos, but thats now what Im looking for right now. I just wanted to see what other people thought of the cobras and what club/shaft combos they obtained the best results with.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
how did you determine that you needed them 3* flat and .75" short? I have no confidence in being "web-fit" where you punch in your height and wrist to floor because it doesn't take your swing into consideration at all - to me, this is the same as buying "standard" off the rack clubs

if you went to a club fitter to be fit and determined 3*flat and 3/4" short, they should have also recommended an iron shaft - no luck? what'd they say?

also, in regards to not looking at one brand because of the special order....you should have your lie angles checked on all of your irons when they arrive anyway - could be out of spec or just within tolerances and it will be nice to have them all adjusted if required

OP
Lil_Huth

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
I had a local pro at one of the C.C.s around here fit me for 2 hours. He said to go with any Dg shaft I felt comfortable with. He said that I could either take off .5 or .75 and go with the -2* or -3*. It all depends on choice because I was right in-between. How much would it cost to have irons sent to Mizuno to have them bent and checked?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I relinquish the point. I usually assume when someone buys irons, especially when they are a single digit handicap, it will last them a long while, if not until the irons are broken.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I wouldn't send them to Mizuno (or any mfg) to be checked - any local clubfitter or repair shop can do that for you - the pro who fit you would likely do it for something like $3 per club

If you've been playing standard length clubs and got down to a 9.7 index, i wouldn't drop 3/4" - maybe a 1/4" possibly 1/2", but I think 3/4" along with flat lies will have you wondering why your clubs feel so short

I'd probably try 2* flat before 3* flat - then again, if you have them adjusted locally, you can ask for 2.5*, and they should be able to do it

he said any dynamic gold shaft? that leaves you with less options....
DG S300's are probably the default answer for you here

although, if you don't like the way they feel or play, you can always change them later

i don't think you can really go wrong with any of the irons you mentioned, I probably wouldn't get the carbon cb's (forged irons are generally easier to bend) but that's more because I like the look of the forged cbs

OP
Lil_Huth

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
I also like the look of forged irons over cast, I just kinda threw the carbons on there. Not sure why. They cost more than forged anyway. Yeh I will prolly end up going with the -.5 length, nut decided on the lie yet. Shaft is still in the air. You have any suggestions, considering I would like a higher ball flight. Doesnt flighted rifle produce a higher ball flight?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Rifle flighteds produce higher ball flight in the long irons but lower flight in the short irons

if you want a higher ball flight do not get dynamic golds

you should probably demo a club with a TT Dynalite Gold shaft - alot of the guys here like the low ball flight of dynamic golds, but a good portion of the other guys like the dynalites

are you hell bent on getting a big OEM (cobra, bridgestone, hogan, ping, etc) or are you willing to try out some of the component offerings?

there's another thread around here with some discussion on that stuff - might be worth a look

if you go the component route, you can have:
> the shafts spine aligned and frequency matched
> prosoft inserts installed (they make even cheap shafts feel nice)
> can have them "tipped" between flexes (say you want a soft stiff flex or a firm regular flex)

and you can order one and demo it for a while - make tweaks if you want, then when you have the perfect club, you can have the rest of the set built

just something to consider....

OP
Lil_Huth

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
No, I am up for the best possible set-up I can have as long as it doesnt cose like $1k. I am in the short comings of a club maker around here though:(. I dont know of any that can do this kind of stuff for me. The pro can fit me but thats about all because he doesnt make clubs anymore.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.