• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help me complete my bag! (question)

always206

Mar 27, 2008
I purchased a new Big Bertha Callaway 460 Driver, a Hyper X 3W, and a set of Adams Idea 02 Hybrid irons through PW.

Question...

Wedges... SW? LW? What should I get? What's the norm?

And putters?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I purchased a new Big Bertha Callaway 460 Driver, a Hyper X 3W, and a set of Adams Idea 02 Hybrid irons through PW.

Question...

Wedges... SW? LW? What should I get? What's the norm?

And putters?
I've got about twenty wedges and twenty putters stacked in my closet. And I've sold or lost at least that many.

That's your answer. Go swing a few. Buy them. Repeat until you:

A. Run out of money.
B. Realize that it hardly matters which one you buy.

I had to learn the hard way (and I haven't really learned yet.) Nobody can tell you what clubs to buy. There is no norm. That is why there are hundreds and hundreds of choices.

Have fun.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
For financial reasons, you likely want to evaluate how many you intend to buy as well as the loft of your PW. If you only intend to buy one, then a 56* would likely be "close to standard", although there is really no standard. If you get two and have around a 47* PW, a 52*and 56* or 54* and 58* may not be bad options.

You also need to consider your greens and your sand conditions. Your greens, because of chipping preferences. Sand conditions because you need to determine the appropriate bounce. If you have fluffy sand and are starting out you may require more bounce. If you have hard pack sand, bounce is a killer.

If I haven't said enough, I will now just spit it out. There is no real standard to picking wedges, and IMO is more of a science to get a required setup than likely any other part of the game. It will also affect a large part of your game as it involve your short game, chipping, putting, sand game, distance gaps on fuller swings if you choose to do so.

Because we have small greens and for my game, I couldn't live without my 52*, but it is a lousy club out of our sand, so when you start evaluating different conditions you will understand why some people carry one wedge, and others like myself carry 4 counting my PW.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
putters - you only need one and they're very personal - our recommendations won't do much for you - go out and try them til you find one you like, then go home with that putter

wedges depend on the courses you play and your game
if you play where there are small elevated greens - you'll probably be served well by a high loft lob wedge
if you play with lots of soft sand in the traps - a high bounce sandwedge is in order
if you play in bermuda grass, higher bounce is good -because the thick wirey grasses tend to grab the club without a good amount of bounce if you're playing on northern turf and hardpan, low bounce is a good idea

lofts should be probably be based on your PW and your highest lofted wedge
I'm not sure which irons you have, but i'm guessing the PW loft is 44-45*
I'd probably get a gap wedge around 50* (49-51) and a sandwedge around 55* (54-56)
if you need a lob wedge based on course conditions, i'd go with something in the 58-60* range - I like to keep them evenly spaced, but it's up to you - the bounce angles of these wedges will likely depend on your style of play and course conditions

where are you and what kind of conditions do you find at the courses you play?
what's your typical miss? do you leave the ball in the sand, or skull it over the green? do you chip with a 7 iron or play to land it close and spin it with a wedge?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Here are the specs on your iron set Adams Golf

Your PW is 45*. You'd want to stay within about 4-5* of that with a gap wedge and then a Sand Wedge another 4-5* up from that IMO. They do make a GW and SW that match your irons. You might be able to track those down on Ebay or through Adams.

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Not knowing what you shoot:
49 degree pitching wedge
52 degree gap wedge
56 degree sand wedge

JohnnyHabs

Just putting at night....
Mar 27, 2008
I agree with the posts above. Most people do not utilize a gap wedge enough. This club will help eliminate those half pitching wedge shots. Try to keep a 4 or 5 degree gap in your lofts amongst your wedges.

🔥 Latest posts