• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help me pick a 25* hybrid

CosmosMpower

Jun 26, 2008
I bought an Adams A3 boxer 3 hybrid (19 degrees) a while back and I really like it. I'm a mid to high handicapper and while I can hit my 4-5 irons ok I don't get as much distance out of them as I should so I bought the hybrid to help. As it turns out I just can't consistently hit that 3 hybrid but it works great for tee shots (regularly get 220 carry with a 20 yard roll). Off the deck I get pretty low trajectory or sometimes a mild slice and often top the ball. I'm sure a good bit of that is my swing but a slightly shorter club with higher loft seems to go straight and high for me.

I'm looking for a 25 degree 5 hybrid to hit off the ground for 170-200 yard shots off the deck and tried a few out at golf galaxy. I've narrowed it down to a few but wanted to take some suggestions from you guys.

1. Adams A3 boxer. Really liked it, matches the 3 hybrid I already have but $150 new and can't find a used one.

2. TM R7 Draw rescue. Hit it pretty good but face looks a bit weird at setup and is $100 new, couldn't find a used in #5.

3. TM original mid rescue. Hit it about the same as the draw but only costs $20 bucks less. Couldn't find a used one either.

Also thinking about checking out the Nickent 3dx hybrid and taking suggestions on any other ones that are similar. I prefer to spend under $100 bucks.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I picked up an SMT Avocet (almost by accident - one of those stupid hos) and it's the ugliest club I've ever seen - I'm not a big SMT fan, but I have to say, this club is ridiculously easy to hit and it's longer than any other 26* hybrid i've ever tried
I hit my 26* Avocet as far as my 22* Lynx Black Cat Tour hybrid and usually a little straighter - it's just ugly
It might be worth visiting a local clubmaker and seeing if they have one of these things for you to try

OP
C

CosmosMpower

Jun 26, 2008
I picked up an SMT Avocet (almost by accident - one of those stupid hos) and it's the ugliest club I've ever seen - I'm not a big SMT fan, but I have to say, this club is ridiculously easy to hit and it's longer than any other 26* hybrid i've ever tried
I hit my 26* Avocet as far as my 22* Lynx Black Cat Tour hybrid and usually a little straighter - it's just ugly
It might be worth visiting a local clubmaker and seeing if they have one of these things for you to try

Interesting, never heard of that brand before. I hope the big retail chains carry it since I'm not aware of any smaller clubmakers in Dallas although I'm sure they are around. I'm going to another golf galaxy, pga superstore and golfsmith tonight.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007

aceillini

Long live "THE CHIEF"
Aug 23, 2006
Have you compared it to any other brands in the same degree?

yes I have played the Cobra Baffler and the Tour Edge Bazooka's.I had similar results with those two as in I always pulled them left.The Nickent seems much straighter for me.As for distance they are very comperable but for me straighter is better as I dont typically try to shape anything with a hybrid.

OP
C

CosmosMpower

Jun 26, 2008
Ended up with the Nickent 4dx ironwood hybrid in 4 (23 degree) instead of 5 Adams A3. I hit them back to back and the Nickent was consistently crisp and straight. I got a really good deal as well, it's a $170 msrp club!

🔥 Latest posts