• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help me spend my extra $70 at Rockbottom

joe111

Apr 8, 2008
To recap another post, I am going to purchase the Adams A2 set from Rockbottomgolf.com. I found that to be about $70 cheaper for the steel set there than an all graphite set at another store, and it seemed the overwhelming response was to get the steel. So since I saved some money there, I was thinking of spending it on someting else at that site and wanted your opinions.

Right now I have a putter, a 3 wood, and a driver. The putter is fine for now and I like the feel of it. The 3 wood is a cheap John Daly one that someone gave me, and the driver is a cheaper Wilson that someone gave me too, but I have still been trying to master the irons so rarely use it. I normally play the par 3 courses, but when playing longer ones I tee off with the 3 wood and thats the only time I use it. I can hit it straight much more likely than the driver, but like I said I have been putting more time into learning the irons.

So with that extra money, would I be best off getting wedges, a 3 wood, or a bag (I need that too soon because the old back I have is falling apart). I don't have any wedges at all and have never used them so I was thinking about those. I noticed a Tom Watson set there for $69. Or would I be better off getting a better 3 wood? Or bag? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
The Watson wedge set is supposed to be a good set for beginner's. Buy it.

OP
J

joe111

Apr 8, 2008
Excuse this sounding so novice, but are wedges used just for chipping, or do you use them when you are close to the green, like say 50 yards or so? Does that allow you to take a full swing with them to not hit them so far and with the backspin, allows the ball to stop when it hits the ground?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I start using a pitching wedge around 125 out. Yes, it allows for a full swing from closer in and yes to the other things you asked.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
The Watson wedge set is supposed to be a good set for beginner's. Buy it.

I just bought a set of the 2007 Watson wedges. I had the gunmetal finish wedges in the past and liked them. The satin finish wedges are even better. The grips that Adams uses still suck but the wedges themselves are excellent -- highly recommended for anyone that wants an inexpensive but very good wedge set.

I paid $63 for the set on sale at rockbottomgolf.com and just regripped them with GP tour velvets when I got them.

OP
J

joe111

Apr 8, 2008
Another rookie question. I look at those wedges in the picture and they do not look like cavity backs. How come? Is it because it is not necessary since the surface area is so wide, or do you hit them differently than the other irons? I see that A2 wedge set on the page and they look like cavity backs.

Dusty90

Another Canuck
May 6, 2007
I am pretty sure that the reason that they are not cavity back is because most people dont need the forgivness that a Cavity Back offers. The high loft, which creates more back spin and less side spin, coupled with a shorter shaft than irons make them easy enough for most people to hit confidently.

jojosasser

May 14, 2007
My brother has the Tom Watson GW from that set and it's a pretty decent club. The set should be a solid buy for you.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
No brainer - buy the wedges. Then take them to the range and practice hitting them 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 yards. Rinse and repeat.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
I say that beginners really dont need wedges besides a PW.

Id go over to Global Golf(by clicking the pro shop link at the top of every page on here) and look for a nice used driver in the $70-$100 range.

Global golf ALWAYS underrates the condition of their used clubs, and they have amazing prices to boot.

Drivers that i would take a gander at are: Taylormade R580XD, Taylormade R5 Dual, Nike Sasquatch, Ping G5, Callaway FT-3

All of those should be around your price range. Id go with 10.5 loft.

Plus, i rarely use my 3 wood. Its always driver or hybrid off the tee(sometimes a stinger 4 iron). It gets called upon maybe once a round if i wanna go for a par 5 in 2.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I say that beginners really dont need wedges besides a PW.

I'll disagree strongly with that. With the modern iron set lofts you are talking about your most lofted club (PW) being 44-45°, plus low bounce. Greenside chipping is going to be problematic as well as under 100 yds. and in. Also, what are you going to use for bunker shots? A 44° PW with 4° of bounce?

I think even a beginner needs a gap wedge and sand wedge. A lob wedge they could probably do without.

Drivers that i would take a gander at are: Taylormade R580XD, Taylormade R5 Dual, Nike Sasquatch, Ping G5, Callaway FT-3

All of those should be around your price range. Id go with 10.5 loft.
All solid choices, depending on swing speed I would say 10.5° is the lowest loft that is reasonable for a beginner. Most beginners I've worked with had much more success with a 11.5°-13° driver to start.

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
I'll disagree strongly with that. With the modern iron set lofts you are talking about your most lofted club (PW) being 44-45°, plus low bounce. Greenside chipping is going to be problematic as well as under 100 yds. and in. Also, what are you going to use for bunker shots? A 44° PW with 4° of bounce?

I think even a beginner needs a gap wedge and sand wedge. A lob wedge they could probably do without.

All solid choices, depending on swing speed I would say 10.5° is the lowest loft that is reasonable for a beginner. Most beginners I've worked with had much more success with a 11.5°-13° driver to start.

I partially agree with your first statement. 56* wedge should be plenty. I highly doubt any beginner will be skilled enough to hit the wedges with consistent enough distances to require a multi wedge setup.

So my final advice would be to pick up a 56* wedge for bunker and greenside shots, and a driver.

Drivers tend to lose their resale value after a couple of months to a year(heavily depending on the company though). This makes it perfect for you to pick up a great model from a year ago for dirt cheap.

Lets be honest with ourselves, technology hasnt improved all too much since the TM R580XD

Members online

No members online now.