• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help me think through this..... club ho ?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I've decided that I really need to drop my three iron. I am not consistent enough with it, and it is only about 5 yards longer than my 4. I think I going to go with the Idea Pro for hybrids, and might need two to get my gaps right. Currently, I hit what I have these distances:

3 wood: 245-255
18 degree hybrid: 215-220
3 iron: 195-200
4 iron:190-195

The three wood and the four iron stay. So I have this 60 yard gap to cover. The lofts on the Idea Pro (and a lot of others) are like this: 16,18,20,23. I'd like to have a 205-210 club, and a 225-230 club.

So this is what I'm thinking. Go with the 16 and 20 degrees, and replace the 20 shaft with the shaft from my three iron. I've heard these clubs are long, but I figure I can add heavier shafts and shorten them to make them shorter.

Anyone have any suggestions?

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Looks good to me. You may not need shaft switch. Try hitting the clubs first. Your proposed set up approximates my set up also. I keep a 4* separation between hybrids. I also have different makes of graphite shafts on each to better control the distance and trajectory expectations.

Does the tip diameter of your irons match the new idea hybrids. Also parallel vs tapered?

I think you will also like the 16* hybrid addition to the bag. It can be hit with near 3 wood distance but with higher trajectory and softer landing. Easier to hit off the deck also if the lie is a bit challenging. You can chip with it and is great for hitting under limbs etc. Works well out of fairway sand bunkers also.

The negative of the switch is the hybrid's trajectory being higher wind can be an issue. Perhaps keeping that 3 iron around may be a benefit for windy days on a particular course.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
that might work but I'm not sure a 16* hybrid would be much easier to hit than the 3 iron you're removing - try it, but don't be afraid to try a 5 or 7 wood - if you like your 3 wood and it definately stays, take a look at the 5

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Thanks guys. The addition of an R7tp five wood with a steel shaft is also a real possibility.

The 3 iron and the hybrids share a parallel hosel, so I can switch them out. Your point about switching back and forth from a three iron is noted, though. I have a Black Gold three iron shaft in X just sitting around. Maybe that would work with the hybrids extra weight to soften it slightly.

I think I'm going to go ahead and look for an Idea in 20 degree to trying it out. Then I can decide between a 1 hybrid or a five wood.

🔥 Latest posts