• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help me with a Sand Wedge

Patlawman

Apr 7, 2005
After 6 years, I finally garaged by off-the-rack set of Nickent irons (anyone interested?) and got fitted for a set of PING G5 irons. Although this post is about wedges, I'll just state that I demo'ed irons from TM, Nike and Cleveland and the PING's just "felt" right. I played with them for the first time this weekend and I absolutely love them. Now, with regard to the wedges: Obviously the irons set came with the PW. I have a Titleist Vokey 60 degree wedge that I absolutely love and will not take that out of my bag. The sand wedge I previously used was a Nickent 56 degree. At another Demo day in NJ on Sunday, I tried the PING M/B wedges and they too felt great in my hands. I'm just a tiny bit confused about whether to go with a 54 degree or a 56 degree wedge. Without changing my swing, I hit them both about the same. Can anyone help me figure out which one will get more use and help my my game.
:smilie_pi

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If you don't have a gap wedge I'd go with the 54*. I play a 54-09 Mizuno and it works great.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
I am with Ez on this

Got to fill the middle, if you are keeping the PW (47-49*) and the 60*, you pretty much have to bridge that with the 54*.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Check the bounce out too. If you don't have supersoft sand at the courses you play stay around a 10 bounce, not too high. A very high bounce may make the club unusable from the fairway and rough. I had my 54* well over a year before I figured out how accurate it could be from 100yds. and in. I use it 10-15 times a round now and have put more wear on it in the last 10rounds than I had in the previous 50-60 rounds.

OP
P

Patlawman

Apr 7, 2005
Help me understand how the bounce factors in with regard to soft sand and not-so-soft sand.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Patlawman said:
Help me understand how the bounce factors in with regard to soft sand and not-so-soft sand.

Does your 60* say 60-05 or some number after the 60? This is the leading edge bounce. A lower number will dig and a higher number will not dig as quickly. In soft sand you want a higher bounce so the club will not dig in too quickly. I find my 54-09 to work great from the sand, rough as well as fairway. The only shots I don't like it for is when the ball is sitting up on longer grass, for those I go to a 50-06. If you have a steep angle on your pitch and sand shots I would think a 9 or 10 bounce would be good. If you are jumping straight from a PW you may also find it more accurate inside of 100yds. and easier to stop on the green. Just wanted to add something. I see you have a Vokey 60* so I know it says a bounce on there. The shots you chunk or get the club digging in before the ball, a higher bounce will help prevent this.

🔥 Latest posts