• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

help me with shaft flex!

jamesj

Apr 1, 2006
ok so currently i have a cleveland launcher 460 ti (2005 model) with 9.5 degree loft. the shaft is the default reg flex 55g (gold color). i bought this off ebay without ever trying it. i originally tried a 2006 launcher at a demo day with an aldila nv shaft. i forget the flex but it may have been regular. i loved it at the demoday and bought one off ebay. ive had this driver for 9 months and its been decent. i can hit good drives off it sometimes. today i hit two drives that were 280+ but i have to choke down on the grip and swing at maybe 70%. when i swing as fast as i know i can under control, it will slice. everyone that uses my shaft calls it a grandpa shaft and wiggles it around like a wet noodle. now im starting to realize that maybe it is a little too flexible. im 21 years old, 6'1" and 190 lbs. and i go to the gym everyday (can bench ~300lbs) so it occured to me i may need a stiffer shaft. i haven't been fitted but i went to a proshop where they had the system where you can hit balls and a screen shots your ball flight and speed and everything. i didn't measure my swing speed but ball speed was ~160mph and the guy said my swing speed is usually 70% of that. he watched me swing a few times and said without a doubt i need a stiff flex shaft. so is the flex shaft the cause of my slices? what shaft is good? ive been looking at the aldila nv-65 stiff shaft.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Virtually impossible, today, to recommend a specific shaft without seeing your swing. Your narrative, however, does give credence to the fact you need a stiffer shaft. Is the NV the correct shaft? That's where the guessing comes in.
If you have a smooth transition, you may want a shaft that isn't really tip stiff. If you are quick in your transition, then a tip stiff shaft would be better.
A graphite shaft that has too much torque (too flexible) will allow the clubhead to "lag" open with a faster swing speed. So, the flexible shaft in your Launcher could well be the reason for a bannana ball. Does this mean a stiffer shaft will be the magic wand for your slice? Not necessarily. A reverse pivot, a body that gets out in front of the hands... there can be many causes for a slice. Anything that prevents the clubface from closing can be at fault.
Find a driver with the NV in that you can demo. If the NV in stiff flex seems to feel good and cleans up the left to right, have one installed. I will tell you, it seems folks either love or hate the NV. Not a lot of middle-of-the-roaders. I've tried 3 or 4 drivers with it and can't feel the love. My son-in-law... with a really hard swing... loves his NV in his G5. Again, find something you can hit quite a few balls with and see how it feels to you. Good luck!!!!!

🔥 Latest posts