• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help my wife like golf!

jchase

Sep 23, 2008
So today at lunch my wife said she wanted to try to play golf once. :wow: Was a huge surprise to me as she is always wondering how i can possibly enjoy watching golf on tv or even playing it as she thinks it is SOOO boring.

So my question to you guys is how can i possibly get her to at least enjoy it enough that she would want to go out again! And getting her trashed is a possibility, but it would be nice if i could get her to enjoy it and want to go out and do it again.

Maybe i will just have her watch michelle wie as my wife is a 6 ft tall korean american and they look pretty damn similar! any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Joe

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Take her to the range. Get her to hit one good pure shot... that's all it ever takes!

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Just remember to CHEER her for every shot she makes right (or half-right). Tell her how good she did for being her first session, that would encourage her to keep trying...

wb4tjh

Dec 12, 2008
I bought my wife a set of clubs in 1990, but the closest she has ever come to a golf course is while driving by one. I wish you luck.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
My girl will come to the range with me and likes to putt. She'll actually watch golf on TV and surprisingly seems to like it. That's about where it ends for me, content with that. The thought of playing golf with her... come on now. No offense to female members but you know what they say about a guy who plays golf with his wife... doesn't have many friends.
icon10.gif

Golf is my time away. Time to have a few drinks, piss outside, invent new four-letter combinations and hopefully walk off with some $$... and my playing partners hating my guts.
icon12.gif

Smoothturn2

Feb 15, 2009
Hey man, I think that is awesome that your wife is interested in playing. I would love to meet a cute girl that can shoot a decent round of golf with! Here is just a couple of things i'd do or go over before you go out.

First, take her to the range and focus on her swing more than yours, if you know anything about the golf swing, give her pointers, if not get someone who can. Golf is much more enjoyable when you can actually hit the ball and not putt putt down the fairway. Second, I would try to, if you havent already, explain to her how hard of a game golf is, and that "par" isn't a score obtainable by most amatuer golfers. Third, just make sure she knows that 1% of golfers are pros and golf is meant to be fun and way to get out and enjoy the day and your surroundings. Oh and take her somewhere easy too!

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Good luck!

My wife was going to surprise me a couple of years ago by going golfing with me on my birthday. She secretly went and took half a dozen lessons then came clean (3 months before my birthday) and declared it a stupidest game ever. :laugh:

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I bought mine her own new clubs, pink balls,all the clothes, gloves, shoes, the whole shooting match.

Occasionally she wears one of the outfits, the clubs have dust on them, ;)

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
If at all possible, get her to play with another female golfer...or spend time with another golfing couple...

OP
J

jchase

Sep 23, 2008
Thanks for the advice guys. The biggest surprise was her even saying she wanted to go out and give it a try. She is not a sports fan at all. A buddy of mine and his girl friend who said she plays golf also would probably put together a four some and take the kids with us. i am sure it wouldnt be everytime out she would want to go but the thought of her actually wanting to try is awesome. Still got to have fun with the guys and have that escape with just the guys. And yea i definitely think the driving range would be a good start and what are the key factors i should cover with her since i am new to the game myself?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I hope it works out and she loves it. But a word of advice, either by her a cheap womens set, or piece one together used. Don't go out and buy a high dollar new set of name brand clubs for her till she is hooked. Thankfully I didn't know better at the time, and bought mine a cheap Golf Girl set. They are pink and she loved/loves the looks of them even if she has no interest now in using them.

And mine said she wanted to learn to play also. Then changed her mind once she tried it a couple of times.

Having another woman to learn with at the same time may help though. Mine gets frustrated because she is just learning. Says she feels like she is slowing me down, even though I've tried to stress to her I don't mind, that I enjoy teaching her. Anyway, best of luck.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
If it means anything......four years ago my wife was a golfer widow.....never played...her clubs were a gift sitting in the corner of the garage....then she went out with me,,,,and another couple...and loved it....got hooked.

Now, she is on the board of directors at our Monticello golf course...

RBG

Jul 13, 2008
I'd say to tag along with her for a lesson that YOU set up for her. DON'T, repeat, DON'T ever try to teach them by yourself!

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
I agree do NOT try to teach her yourself. Set up a lesson while she is still interested if you can find a female pro all the better. Don't make her play with mens clubs get womens clubs and even when she starts trying to play don't make her play 18. If she wants to play 6 play 6 and stop.

My wife often starts with me at our club and quits after nine and goes to the pool then I meet her there after 18 works out great.

DH

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Get her lessons. Was told some very valuable advice by the guy who taught us to play that has led to very enjoyable golf.

He simply said never try to teach you wife anything about golf. If she get's PO'ed with the instructor they come a dime a dozen and can be easily replaced. Whomever that may be.

The only time I even specifically watch any part of my wifes game is if she asks. The only time I have ever offered advice is when she asks or comments, and then I usually have to watch. Then only if I think I may know will I even offer. I have likely offered her as much advice over the time we have played as she has offered me. It is usually only when our play is making us miserable, then usually I know enough about her game to know how it has changed simply because we play so much together. So if she keeps commenting that her putting is bad, I may start to watch, then if she is really frustrated I may simply offer one or two observations. In the same sense when I suffer off the tee, her and people I commonly play with can usually see something different and will offer such when they realize it is making me miserably. It may happen 1 or 2 times out of the year. If it is more than that, we both know it is time to see a professional.

Just remember, you do not have to be the best golfer in the world to enjoy this game. So is long as she enjoys it, don't think she needs or wants to be better and needs advice. Have seen a lot of women golfers that are miserable on the course and it is usually a result of getting advice from either a Husband or Boyfriend. Probably 1/2 of those times, they were the better golfer. My index is lower than my wifes, but she has a far better swing and is a better ball striker. It is my Putting, and Course management that likely make me better.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online