• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help my wife like golf!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
My wife plays with me all the time!

Sometimes, it's on the golf course! ;)

Seriously, my wife took it up so we could play together. She was a college athlete and is competitive, so she got hooked quickly. Also, she has a lady friend that plays every chance she gets. It REALLY helps if your wife can find a lady or two who play near her level.

And, let her make her own decisions about clubs, balls, clothes, etc. DO NOT try to help other than finding a deal on what she wants.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
............. A buddy of mine and his girl friend who said she plays golf also would probably put together a four some and take the kids with us.........

You were doing OK until this sentence. :)

Please, have some sympathy for the other people on the course. A 4some containing 1 or more beginners is bad enough to be behind, but a 4some plus kids would be too much to bear.

No offense meant, but somebody behind you might go seriously postal.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
My wife played, not because she was interested in it as much as she wanted to have the quality outdoor time with me. Then she got all pregnant and wobbly.

DaGris

Bears fan in Georgia
Dec 8, 2007
I love my wife.....but I would shoot her if she took up golf....;)

golf is my time to hang out with the guys.....:thumbs up:

RBG

Jul 13, 2008
One more thing, I let my wife pick up anywhere at any time she wants. Hell, I even let her T it up in the fairway. Why, because as long we don't hold anyone up she can do whatever she wants. (Side note: Since she has become alot better, she doesn't T up in the fairways anymore. But, it sure did help her confidence in the beginning. ) Remember, it's just a damn game and I really like having my wife with me!

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Okay, as token female, and one who started playing as an adult, here's my two cents.

It's been said before, but some things should NEVER be taught by a relative. Driving, skiing, and golf are the top three.

If possible, send her to an all-female golf camp. They exist. The only real way to learn a sport as an adult is full immersion.

Next, get her playing with other women. If there isn't a beginner women's group or league at your course, have her check out the EWGA. Lots of great instruction/camaraderie/playing opportunities.

If she likes, it, it's a great way to spend couple time together. It doesn't mean you won't both play separately.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I disagree Claire. Things vary, but I taught my wife to golf and we had a fine time. It was about being together, that's why we did it.

Some couples its one way, some its the other.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I got pretty lucky....my g/f was already into golf when i met her....she was the one who got me into the game(mainly as a way to bond with her father just like motorcycles, but once i played i really liked it).

We have a lot of fun out on the course and i enjoy every minute of it. She also lets me hit the course with the guys every once in a while so i get my time alone as well.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I have been teaching my wife the basics of putting and chipping. She has become decent at both. Now, we can start playing in the couples "scramble" on Thursday afternoons this Spring and she can contribute immediately.

Also, I am fortunate that the asisstant pro at my course is a sometimes Duramed Futures Tour player. As mentioned, having a female instructor to give lessons is a plus.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
You can get her swinging in the back yard without hitting actual golf balls. Then when it looks respectable take her to the range. :)

tjy355

Sep 30, 2008
I disagree Claire. Things vary, but I taught my wife to golf and we had a fine time. It was about being together, that's why we did it.

Some couples its one way, some its the other.

There are exceptions to every rule, but I agree with Claire, men should not try to teach their wives/girlfriends to golf. I would recommend finding her a female instructor.

And to another comment from the OP: Playing golf and watching golf on TV are not related. Just because someone who thinks watching golf on TV is boring (IT IS!!!) doesn't mean they may not enjoy actually PLAYING golf.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I bought mine her own new clubs, pink balls,all the clothes, gloves, shoes, the whole shooting match.

Occasionally she wears one of the outfits, the clubs have dust on them, ;)

Similar situation here, my wife wanted to try the game so I pieced a halfway decent set together. She has come out to a couple of par 3 courses with me & played, but she has decided she hates the game.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I took my wife along once. She was giving me swing tips by the fourth hole. Seems my alignment was wrong. By the 9th green the game of golf wasn't high on her list of things to do, but she thought that taking her shoes off and doing yoga on the greens was great.

We don't play golf together, we do other things together instead. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.:D

Bakemono36

Aug 24, 2008
I dont think you can make her like golf. All you can do is let her come play golf with you and see what happens. If she likes it, she likes it and if she doesnt, she doesnt.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online