• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help Needed

wkubrandon

Weekend Hacker
Mar 29, 2009
I work at Dicks Sporting goods and got a sweet deal on a ft5. The only thing is im not sure i bought the right club to fit my game. I usually hit a little bit of a slice...so i bought the draw version. Only i bought a 9.5 degree which i was told was the tour version and that the club face would be open .5 degrees. So my question is...does the "draw" version of the driver negate the .5 degrees the face is open? On our virtual golf course i think my swing speed was something like 90.1 and ballspeed was in the low to mid 160's if that sounds right. I usually carry about 290-295.Any help would be awesome.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
:D

I'm gonna say your sim is a little off, just like every Dick's sim is. 90.1 SS does not equate to 160's ball speed and most certainly not 290 carry.

Don't have any experience with the FT-5 or draw weighting. I'm sure somebody will chime in.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The Tour versions are all 0.5* open regardless of model. The interior weighting is draw biased, increasing the clubs ability to close the face at impact, helping straighten a slice.

See the attached pic for weighting info.

Ballspeed from swingspeed is all dependent on how solidly you are hitting the ball. Work that new driver into a groove and you'll see those ballspeed numbers increase dramatically.

Have fun!

R35
adjustablecg.jpg

OP
wkubrandon

wkubrandon

Weekend Hacker
Mar 29, 2009
Well, i know the distance is fairly accurate based on what i hit with my hibore xl. but youre right, im sure our sim kinda sucks. So does it sound like i bought the right club, or can you even tell based on that info?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Does it go straight? If so, you bought the right club.

If you get the same slice as your HiBore, it ain't the stick. :D

R35

OP
wkubrandon

wkubrandon

Weekend Hacker
Mar 29, 2009
Haha. OK thanks for the help. Im new to this so your explanation was helpful.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
No worries.

You'll love that driver when you get it outside. The ball carries like crazy off the face.

R35

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
Another thought I had as I read this: Do you feel you hit the ball too high? Or not high enough? The tour version also has a higher center of gravity. So, if you need help obtaining a more boring ball flight, the Tour version might still be what you need. I guess what I'm saying is there is more to it than fade, neutral, or draw.

OP
wkubrandon

wkubrandon

Weekend Hacker
Mar 29, 2009
you know im not really sure what good ball flight looks like. Heres another stupid question. can you have irons you have already bought fitted?

phatheadaf

Jul 20, 2008
absoultely you can have your irons fit. . Everything is for a price of course :). Every year I have my irons loft and lies checked and rebent. I wouldn't get into reshafting, cuz at that point you might as well get new clubs. But you can have the heads bent to suit your stroke, and you can even have them cut or capped depending on if you need them longer or shorter.

So yes, you can have all of that done.

Regading the draw bias, it's weighting, if you hit a fade/slice, I would not play the tour version, cuz it's going to be harder for you to close the face than if the face was hooded, and the bias was neutral. So if your getting a work discount I would play the 10* head, it will help your carry distance.

Proper ball flight... it depends on the player, however, if you've ever been to a tour event, the ball flight is usually high, like you have to crane your neck up to see it. More height more carry, more carry more distance. Not that you want to baloon it, but a big high ball flight is a good thing in most cases.

But I would avoid the open face if you can. If you slice/fade now, it means your likely not getting your club face closed for whatever reason, at impact. An open face is goingto exasperate that, most likley.

Hope that helps... and get those irons fit to you!!!

A.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
yeah.

I would worry much more about the Face angle than the weighting.

That is going to have a much more immediate impact on where your shots go.

Only if you have a really consistent swing are you going to see a big change in ballflight by changing the internal weighting.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
Those numbers don't add up. 90mph SS for sure doesn't = 290-295 carry or 160's BS.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Man, I wish I could get a 290 yard carry with my 95mph swingspeed!

I did hit a 300 yard drive. Once.

Downhill, downwind, and the fairways were like rock. No cart path, though. :)

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Having an open face when you already fight a slice doesn't really sound like a good combination to me... but the proof is in the pudding. If you hit it well all the stuff that's marked on the club becomes irrelevant. :thumbs up:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.