• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help Needed

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Those numbers don't add up. 90mph SS for sure doesn't = 290-295 carry or 160's BS.

Whoa, whoa, whoa....are you trying to tell me that a simulator can potentially be ramped up to Superman performance numbers? ;)

When I first went indoor here, I wanted to get a feel for the sim, so I pulled a 7 iron. Back then, a good 7 for me was about 150-155. I don't hit my irons long. First swing, good contact, 187 carry. Um, right. Second swing, hit it poorly, 177 carry.

Needless to say, I wasn't impressed. They had to dial in the sim for 45 minutes to get it to a 150 yard 7 iron. The drivers of 230 carry were more common rather than the 300 carry it was registering.

Sounds like a similar case here.

Nevertheless, if he's getting better performance from the FT-5, it sounds like a solid purchase and that's what's important.

R35

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Whoa, whoa, whoa....are you trying to tell me that a simulator can potentially be ramped up to Superman performance numbers? ;)

When I first went indoor here, I wanted to get a feel for the sim, so I pulled a 7 iron. Back then, a good 7 for me was about 150-155. I don't hit my irons long. First swing, good contact, 187 carry. Um, right. Second swing, hit it poorly, 177 carry.

Needless to say, I wasn't impressed. They had to dial in the sim for 45 minutes to get it to a 150 yard 7 iron. The drivers of 230 carry were more common rather than the 300 carry it was registering.

Sounds like a similar case here.

Nevertheless, if he's getting better performance from the FT-5, it sounds like a solid purchase and that's what's important.

R35

They can sell more drivers when sims say you're bombing everything 290 down the middle ;)

OP
wkubrandon

wkubrandon

Weekend Hacker
Mar 29, 2009
Alright, well, sounds like i need to return this thing. I didnt know that .5 of a degree open would change much.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Alright, well, sounds like i need to return this thing. I didnt know that .5 of a degree open would change much.

Not so fast, have you hit it in real world situations yet?

At least take it to the driving range and bang a couple balls out there to see if you can even keep in on the course. If it feels good and is giving you good results why waste a good driver.

.5º is really not that big of a deal...if you are on a simulator you need to have a known club with you to compare against...and the other guys are completely right...there is no way a 90MPH SS is going to go 290....notta chance.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada

Change what? Are you slicing like crazy? An open face promotes less of a hook, and the weighting helps close the face to square instead of leaving it open.

I'm somewhat confused by what you're trying to say here.

If you're hitting it straight, the face angle means diddly squat.

R35

OP
wkubrandon

wkubrandon

Weekend Hacker
Mar 29, 2009
no, i do hit a slice. not a dramatic one but i still end up on the right side of the fairway. I cant hit it in a real world situation because then its non returnable. Should i be looking for something more like a 10 degree neutral or draw non tour?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
and the other guys are completely right...there is no way a 90MPH SS is going to go 290....notta chance.

Spot on!
I average 92-93 mph SS & unless some strange freakish shit happens, I never get more than 250-255 yds out of mine. 290yds is a big big poke.

OP
wkubrandon

wkubrandon

Weekend Hacker
Mar 29, 2009
yeah you guys are right, our sim at dicks sucks. I went to golf galaxy and met with the swing analyst there. he matched me with a club (after about 100 swings it seemed like) that i was very consistent down the middle with. I ended up returning the club i had and getting a ft-5 10 degree neutral. I had a little trouble keeping the fuji 360 consistent so i went with the 150 stiff which i was much more consistent with for some reason. Thanks for the pointers!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online