• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help on wedges please!

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
currently i have a pw, and a 64 deg lob wedge...and there are times were i just need something in between!

what is a good degree wedge to get for something in between. something i can use in the sand as well as putting it on the green.

52 deg? 56?58?

OP
lildudejds

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
ok...56 sounds good...ill check um out

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Wit is right, SW 55-57*

I would think that should be one of at least 2 wedges everyone should have in the bag.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
lildudejds said:
currently i have a pw, and a 64 deg lob wedge...and there are times were i just need something in between!

what is a good degree wedge to get for something in between. something i can use in the sand as well as putting it on the green.

52 deg? 56?58?

How well do you hit your 64 degree lob? That is an extremely steep loft...

Witmaster

Esprit de Corps
Jan 19, 2006
Bravo said:
How well do you hit your 64 degree lob? That is an extremely steep loft...
I was thinking the same thing.... I'd use it if there ever was a need for me to launch the ball 60 feet straight up and 3 feet forward. Maybe over a brick wall or something like that ;)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
You might want to check out a 68 degree or even 72 degree...
Nothing Beats Dr. Knockdown for those hard shots around the green where you want to hit yourself in the face for missing the green. Just be careful not to nick an artery with the bounce. You can hit clean under the ball from most tight lies, who else can promise that?
http://www.xfactordirect.com/wedges.htm

I agree, I use a 60* pretty well and found the 64* that I bought for $20 and used for about 2 rounds to be pretty extreme. I would say get a 56*. Although if you plan on having several you may try something like a 54* and 58*. Or 52* and 56*, then decide if you really like the 64* or not. Just a matter of how many choices you want and how much you want to spend. I use my 52* three times as much as my 56*, but if I had to choose one I would probably side with the 56* just because I can only use a 52* on longer bunker shots and need the bounce on the 56* to really be affective on normal bunker shots. I could adapt to the chipping, pitching and long wedge shots with the 56* if I were forced too.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Thats silly

If I were to go to that extreme, 80* I woiuld just cut the handle off a garden hoe and hit it with that.:)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Take that 64* wedge out of your bag and put it in the shed. Leave it there forever. Any wedge beyond 58* takes extreme skill to produce consistent, score lowering shots. I'm willing to bet that anyone here would score the same, if not better, without their 60* lob wedge.

Myself included.:faintthud

R35

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Rockford35 said:
Take that 64* wedge out of your bag and put it in the shed. Leave it there forever. Any wedge beyond 58* takes extreme skill to produce consistent, score lowering shots. I'm willing to bet that anyone here would score the same, if not better, without their 60* lob wedge.

Myself included.:faintthud

R35
Hey Great technique to rust a wedge. Personally I may score better if I did the same with my Driver, but with the way I play golf I need all the fun toys in my bag that I can find. Although I will say that in the last 6 months my index has dropped almost 5 points. Without my additional putts, it may be closer to 10. I would say half of this is related to toning down my driver swing and hitting it shorter but more accurate, the other 1/2 is better learning and practicing when not to use my Lob Wedge.

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
60 is very hard to use, I'm lucky in that I work with a pro that is teaching me how to tame it.

I currently use a pitching wedge a 52, 56, and a 60 Cleveland Reg. 797 BeNi.:smilie_cl

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I am kind of stuck with my 3 choices as I have over $200 invested in Mizuno wedges. Now that I know my game a little better I would probably go with a 52-07 or 08 bounce and a 56-09. I now carry a 50-06, 54-09 and 60-05. The 60 is only used for pretty extreme situations. I never use it for regular pitch shots. I can get much better results with the 50 or 54. I don't know what I would do with a 64*, probably the same as I would with a bag of Tostitos, Chili Dipperoo.

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
Rock, i used to agree with you, but since i've made some alterations in my short game, i've been hitting my shots in theback of th stance on a low trajectory, and i pretty much use exclusively my lob wedge from around the greens. I just love it, and i think my short game is pretty decent. Tomorrow im going to play a links course and may use the 54 or 48 degree wedges for bump and run shots, but i bet im going to be using the 60 more than either. Some people cant hit a 60 at all, but for me and my buddy(who plays to a +2.4 handi), its the club we use just about all the time from off the green. Just a matter of preference, with the bumpy greens i usually play on, i find its more predictable just to get the ball in the air

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Neal,

I'm not saying that the 60* wedge is the devil's tool. However, for most guys sporting a 10+ handicap, it is.

If you spend time on your short game and have an understanding of your touch and feel, you'll probably have good success with it. But it takes time, patience and constant refreshing of that feel to get it dialed.

For most guys, a 56* would do just about whatever a 60* can do, other than the flop shot, which is once in a blue moon.

You make a good case tho.

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.