• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help picking a new 3wood shaft.

Rafared

Oct 25, 2008
Hello to all.

I'm a 9 handicap from Ireland and looking for some advice on a new shaft for my Sonartec ss-03 3 wood (13 deg) which currently has an Aldila NV 75 S Shaft.
My driver is a Cobra Hs 9 with a YS 6.6 stiff shaft which has a high kick and weighs 60grams. My swing speed with the driver is 96mph and I'm happy with the feel and distance from the club. I got fitted on a launch monitor for this club but the clubfitter has since closed down so I can't do the same for my 3 wood.
I also play with 2 cobra bafflers with sfiff aldila Nv HL 65 shafts and love the distance and control I have with them.
This brings me to my 3 wood which I dont hit as well as the driver or hybrids. I think this is down to the weight and feel of the Aldila Nv shaft.
I want to hit a stinger low trajectory shot off the tee with the 3 wood for days when its windy or when im playing at courses with shorter par 4's.

I reckon my swing speed with the 3 wood would be around 91 or 92 mph so I suppose im beween regular and stiff flex.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OP
Rafared

Rafared

Oct 25, 2008
Take a shaft like you play in your driver and tip it 1 inch.

Thanks a mil for the suggestion mddubya....much appreciated.

Im going to show my inexperience now...........when you say tip it I assume you mean trim it at the tip end rather that the butt end?

Can I ask why?

Thanks again.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Tipping will stiffen the shaft a bit to account for the greater head weight of a 3 wood over a driver.

OP
Rafared

Rafared

Oct 25, 2008
Tipping will stiffen the shaft a bit to account for the greater head weight of a 3 wood over a driver.

Thanks for the help Mike.
Do you think tipping a stiff shaft would make it too stiff for my swing speed?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Thanks for the help Mike.
Do you think tipping a stiff shaft would make it too stiff for my swing speed?
I value accuracy over length in my FW wood. So I err on the side of stiff. My driver SS is around 94mph. I play an R-flex in my driver, and an S-flex in my 4-wood. Obviously, you don't want it too stiff, but if the flex profile is good in your driver, then it should be good tipped one inch in your 3-wood. The only thing I would consider is that you generally want a heavier shaft in your 3-wood than you have in your driver. So if you are happy with a 60g shaft in the driver, you might want to get a 75g shaft in your 3-wood.

Keep in mind that the terms "regular-flex" and "stiff-flex" mean absolutely nothing. Nada. Zero. Zilch. You have to do a shaft frequency profile to get any kind of absolute measurement of shaft flex. I'm about to swap the "stiff" shaft in my 4-wood for a "regular" shaft. I think my current shaft is too flexible (despite being labeled "stiff",) and the new shaft has a reputation for playing firm to stated flex.

In fact, I think I'll get started on that right now!

OP
Rafared

Rafared

Oct 25, 2008
I value accuracy over length in my FW wood. So I err on the side of stiff. My driver SS is around 94mph. I play an R-flex in my driver, and an S-flex in my 4-wood. Obviously, you don't want it too stiff, but if the flex profile is good in your driver, then it should be good tipped one inch in your 3-wood. The only thing I would consider is that you generally want a heavier shaft in your 3-wood than you have in your driver. So if you are happy with a 60g shaft in the driver, you might want to get a 75g shaft in your 3-wood.

Keep in mind that the terms "regular-flex" and "stiff-flex" mean absolutely nothing. Nada. Zero. Zilch. You have to do a shaft frequency profile to get any kind of absolute measurement of shaft flex. I'm about to swap the "stiff" shaft in my 4-wood for a "regular" shaft. I think my current shaft is too flexible (despite being labeled "stiff",) and the new shaft has a reputation for playing firm to stated flex.

In fact, I think I'll get started on that right now!

Thanks a mil Eracer.
Im starting to lean towards changing to a YS-6 or Pershing stiff flex shaft. Maybe its me but I just cant get on with the Aldila Nv........it feels to heavy and boardy to me. Im not sure im going to go with a heavier shaft though because I tend to hit it better with a lightweight shaft.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the Pershing?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Thanks a mil Eracer.
Im starting to lean towards changing to a YS-6 or Pershing stiff flex shaft. Maybe its me but I just cant get on with the Aldila Nv........it feels to heavy and boardy to me. Im not sure im going to go with a heavier shaft though because I tend to hit it better with a lightweight shaft.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the Pershing?
I don't have any personal experience, but I've heard that if the YS-6 is a stiff, then the Pershing is a piece of rebar.

OP
Rafared

Rafared

Oct 25, 2008
I don't have any personal experience, but I've heard that if the YS-6 is a stiff, then the Pershing is a piece of rebar.

I love the feel of the stiff YS 6.6 in my driver so maybe the same shaft in my 3 wood would be best. I see you have a grafalloy prolaunch red in your driver......how does it perform? The reason i'm asking is because I can get my hands on one and it might suit my needs.

thanks again for your help and advice.

RC52

It's in the hole-ASSCLOWN
Mar 30, 2008

I've got a Stiff YS-6 in my 4 wood, and like it a lot. It's mid kick, kinda weak tip but responsive. If you like it in a driver, it might feel different with a lighter 3 wood head, so be prepared for that. With your swing speed you definitely want a stiff flex with a ys-6, as it rated dsfi is 93 mph.

After reading your original thread, you mentioned low trajectory. What is current trajectory of your 3 wood the NV 75 shaft?

The YS-6 would be more mid to high imo. If I were looking L.T. 3 wood shaft i think a prolaunch red fairway shaft in regular flex or a Prolite 45 in stiff flex would work.

OP
Rafared

Rafared

Oct 25, 2008
I've got a Stiff YS-6 in my 4 wood, and like it a lot. It's mid kick, kinda weak tip but responsive. If you like it in a driver, it might feel different with a lighter 3 wood head, so be prepared for that. With your swing speed you definitely want a stiff flex with a ys-6, as it rated dsfi is 93 mph.

After reading your original thread, you mentioned low trajectory. What is current trajectory of your 3 wood the NV 75 shaft?

The YS-6 would be more mid to high imo. If I were looking L.T. 3 wood shaft i think a prolaunch red fairway shaft in regular flex or a Prolite 45 in stiff flex would work.

Thanks for the advice.
My current trajectory with the nv 75s shaft is fairly low....id say mid to low when i hit it well. It just doesnt fell as sweet as my driver or hybrids to me. The first shaft I considered was the prolaunch red.......from what ive read it seems to live up to its low launch specs.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I have a stiff flex YS-6 in my 4w & it seems to be a perfect match. Ball flight never ballons with it & I can usually count on it to be dead straight.

OP
Rafared

Rafared

Oct 25, 2008
I have a stiff flex YS-6 in my 4w & it seems to be a perfect match. Ball flight never ballons with it & I can usually count on it to be dead straight.

I'd have to say the same about my driver. Its a stock shaft called a YS 6.6 stiff with a high kick. It has a nice feel to it at impact and gets it out there well when I nail it.
It might just be the job for my 3 wood.
Thanks for the help.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The ProLaunch Red is a very linear shaft. By that I mean it sends the ball on a trajectory that depends on the actual loft at impact.

This may sound like a ridiculous statement - after all, trajectory depends on loft at impact.

But I've hit shafts (Fuji 55HL) that launch the ball into the stratosphere every time, and shafts (ProLite Fairway) that put the fear of God into every worm on every fairway it's ever aimed at.

The PL Red will hit the ball low if the clubhead is delofted a bit at impact. It will launch the ball on a mid trajectory if I open the face a bit. It will not balloon, that's for sure. And there is no tendency to snap hook - something I've stuggled with in the past.

I'm a big fan of Graffaloy shafts. I actually have a Pro CompNT that I was going to drop into my driver when I bought it from mddubya. He wisely told me to play a few rounds with the Red, and at this point I have no intention of swapping out the shaft. Being the ho I am, though...:laugh"

OP
Rafared

Rafared

Oct 25, 2008
The ProLaunch Red is a very linear shaft. By that I mean it sends the ball on a trajectory that depends on the actual loft at impact.

This may sound like a ridiculous statement - after all, trajectory depends on loft at impact.

But I've hit shafts (Fuji 55HL) that launch the ball into the stratosphere every time, and shafts (ProLite Fairway) that put the fear of God into every worm on every fairway it's ever aimed at.

The PL Red will hit the ball low if the clubhead is delofted a bit at impact. It will launch the ball on a mid trajectory if I open the face a bit. It will not balloon, that's for sure. And there is no tendency to snap hook - something I've stuggled with in the past.

I'm a big fan of Graffaloy shafts. I actually have a Pro CompNT that I was going to drop into my driver when I bought it from mddubya. He wisely told me to play a few rounds with the Red, and at this point I have no intention of swapping out the shaft. Being the ho I am, though...:laugh"

Interesting. Ive neve hit a club with a grafalloy shaft. I'm only playing golf 3 years and all this shaft changing stuff is totally new to me. I went through a period of snap hooking myself a while back....not a nice experience.
I suppose im looking for a stiff, lightweight, high kick shaft that offers plenty of feedback and feels similar to the YS 6.6 in my driver.
I dont have massive clubhead speed but I can play....good short game, good putter making up for not being very long off the tee.

Thanks again for all the help and advice guys.

🔥 Latest posts