• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

HELP - Raw length to playing length

Bossman641

Jan 10, 2007
Now that the season is coming to a close here in Northern Illinois, I have plans to do a few winter projects - one being to reshaft a set of clubs.
As I've never done this before, I'm sure there will be some screwups along the way. Therefore, I'm gonna use one of my unused sets and buy a set of pulls to try and do it cheaply. I play my clubs at 1/2 over Mizuno length, or in other words a 38.25 inch 5 iron.

I'm getting confused when trying to find some pulls. What are the "raw" iron lengths I would need in order to play a set 1/2" over. Is there some general rule of thumb where the finished playing length will be 1 inch more than the raw iron length?

Thanks

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Add the measure of the "bottom of bore to ground" measurement to the raw length of the shaft to get the playing length. The BBTG measure is the bottom of the inside of the hosel to the ground at address.

Ex: BBTG measure = 1"
raw length 5 iron shaft = 37"
playing length = 37+1= 38" total. In your case of 38.25", too short.

The BBTG measure will slightly differ between sets, so make sure to measure before buying. :thumbs up:

R35

🔥 Latest posts