• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help with decision on irons shafts..

xplyboy

Reaction score
Hello,

New to the site and to golf in general. I've been playing seriously for about 3 months now and have been using a set of tayloremade irons with steel shafts i purchased 3 months ago. I shoot in the low 100's. I now just purchased another set of tayloremade irons with graphite shafts cause they were a great deal. Now the question is should I start playing with the graphite shafts until I get better (cause they are more forgiving and may improve my scores for the time being) or should I just stick with the steel ones cause I know they will make me a better player. Thanks.

I personally don't like graphite in anything except a driver and even that's getting questionable. Graphite will make the club lighter and you will be able to swing it faster. That is why graphite shafted irons are seen very often in women's and senior's equipment. Steel is more accurate IMO. Graphite should have nothing to do with forgiveness though.

One more thing, I haven't been to a fitting nor lesson cause of money factors but my steel irons have different flexes which I thought was wierd. Some irons have an s-90 and some have a r-80. I haven't notice me playing any worse with one club nor the next. Of course the long irons (3 & 4) are a little tougher than other but thats because of the irons and not the flex. Is that wierd?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520