• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help with me some one-plane swing theory

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
I hear ya, and to be honest I dont like the 1P, 2P theory because I dont fit in them :p

I just tend to have issues in transition, where a few years ago, I would come over the top of my backswing plane (slice)... I adjusted by having a low, and shallow backswing plane... I would go from below plane, to on plane... (The "Triple Shift version in TGM) but sometimes I went too over the top still, big fades, or not over enough, blocks.... and still some slices with longer clubs... So I had moved my backswing plane to more upright, with a drop in the slot...

Slices are gone, Driver is straightish, chunks arent much of an issue, but shanks are bad, very bad. The whole time, my impact position has been on the lower plane (elbow plane). Ive tried to get rid of any shift of planes in transition, but it feels crappy...

I dont remember where I read this, but there is a post somewhere in internet land on the "evolution of a hacker"... that most people start out slicing (over the top), and eventually they will fix that and start blocking/hooking/shanking (below plane), if they fix that then they will be "on plane", and be alot more consistent.

This seems to be that path I am on.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
I switched to a one plane swing about a year ago. It definitely improved my consistency. When I started, I watched Jeff Ritter's video's religiously.

YouTube - jritter5's Channel

I really like his style and approach to teaching the game.

Lefty_SnowBird

Jul 6, 2009
Hi everyone, first post here!

I'm not sure if anyone has mentionned this, but you have to take into account the anatomy of your club. If you put a 7 iron flat on the ground, its shaft will naturaly move slightly toward your left shoulder (right for me since i'm lefty :) ). When you do the same thing with a driver, it'll naturaly go the other way. That's how you should determine where you put the ball between your feet. Hands don't move, only the club head according to its natural shape.

Therefore, the 1-plane circle can be the same for every club and the head should square off by itself in it's rightful place (hopefully where the ball is!)

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
The problem i have with the marketing of this swing is that as people have said,it pigeon holes swings, to me I feel that none of the best golfers had a certain "method" as such, Nicklaus, Palmer, Hogan, Player, Woods, Duval, they didn't actually have a certain "method" it is just the way they do it, there are parameters these guys fall in to, they have never come out and said, I am oneplane/two plane/stack and tilt/rotary/no swing backswing, they just have their way of doing things

🔥 Latest posts