• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help with 'sliding'

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Ok, so here is my swing 'issue'. Instead of turning my hips throught the shot, I have a terrible tendency to 'slide' them. It gets really bad whne I try to smooth a shot. I also have trouble loading my right leg on the back swing(which may contribute to the slide) which I am working on. I know my issue, and our club pro try to help me with it, but I just can not get it figured out no matter what I try to do. I can take really slow and easy practice swings and be conscious of making sure I am turning, but there are times throughout a round where the slide creeps in and I'll hit it fat. It is killing my game right now, I feel it is the main reason my handicap has climbed so much lately, although it has come down here some in the last month or so. :unhappy:

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Ok, so here is my swing 'issue'. Instead of turning my hips throught the shot, I have a terrible tendency to 'slide' them. It gets really bad whne I try to smooth a shot. I also have trouble loading my right leg on the back swing(which may contribute to the slide) which I am working on. I know my issue, and our club pro try to help me with it, but I just can not get it figured out no matter what I try to do. I can take really slow and easy practice swings and be conscious of making sure I am turning, but there are times throughout a round where the slide creeps in and I'll hit it fat. It is killing my game right now, I feel it is the main reason my handicap has climbed so much lately, although it has come down here some in the last month or so. :unhappy:
That happens to me when I consciously try to create width in my swing. When I find myself doing that, I think to myself:

Simplify, simplify, simplify...

OP
B

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Only swingthought I have is to turn my core. Went to the range this afternoon, and it is still present. I am going to try to film it and post it on swing academy over the weekend, maybe I can get it worked out

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Try the "Chair Drill."

Set a straight-back chair (like a dining table chair) next to your right hip, with the seat facing backwards. Your hip should be just touching the side of the back of the chair. Make slow swings back to the top while barely maintaining contact with the chair. Make sure you are swinging your left shoulder out and over your right knee. Do this drill in VERY slow motion about 10-20 times per night. It will help you ingrain the feeling of a proper turn.

blackxpress

May 12, 2008
Hey, that's a great tip Eracer. I'm going to practice that. Thanks. For my part, one thing that helped me with this is a tip I picked up from Ben Hogan's "Five Lessons." I set up with my knees pointing toward each other instead of straight ahead. This helps my left knee to break toward the ball on the backswing and helps to prevent my right knee from sliding side to side, which used to be a big problem for me. My right knee would kind of wobble from side to side sometimes which allowed my hips to slide instead of turn. Of course, it also took me off my swing path and caused me to hit a lot of shots fat, thin, not at all, etc. I've got that problem under control now and am hitting the ball a whole lot better.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
You can turn "too much". That was my problem. Don't let the "turn" of the lower body get ahead of the upper. :)

I don't agree with the "lead with the hips" or "fire the hips" teachings. Of course I'm old and not very flexible. :)

Burg

Jul 17, 2007
Another drill that may help you is to place a golf ball under the right side of your right foot. This will place your weight on the inside of your right foot throughout your backswing and prevent you from getting your weight on the outside of your right foot.

You can also try to turn the right knee inwards when you start your swing and maintain this tension throughout the backswing. That's what I do when I start to "sway".

utahgolf

Just Getting Started
Nov 4, 2007
Northern Utah
Country
United States United States
Spread your feet nearly as wide as you can, while still being able to swing, and hit a few normal shots. Usually with about an 8 iron or so and you can feel your hips turning, instead of sliding back and through.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
You can also try to turn the right knee inwards when you start your swing and maintain this tension throughout the backswing. That's what I do when I start to "sway".
That's a great feeling to take to the course. Pinch the right knee in just before the takeaway, feeling the right thigh coil just a bit. Then rotate back until the coil ends. Pause and swing through the ball, rotating down and around the spine to a full finish facing the target, clubshaft up and over the left shoulder.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
After reading this, I think this is what I'm doing also, which is causing my irons to be so erratic. I have a tee time here in a bit and I'm going to try a couple of these tips and see if they help?

OP
B

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Made some improvement at the range yesterday and today. Our club pro helped me out. Took him about 2 seconds to see my tempo SUCKED. Trying to 'hit' the little white rascal instead of make a smooth swing. Me and the irons were on the verge of a divorce, but it appears after this afternoon I'll give em a second chance. Tempo was WAYYYY to fast, causing all sort of issues. Slow back and smooth through made a huge difference. And, as a bonus, all the irons looked good distance wise and the ball flight and trajectory were what my R7 irons had. All is good with the irons as of today. Got to slow down everything and work on keeping it smooth.

🔥 Latest posts