• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
During these past 6 months when I didn't feel up to playing a full round of golf, I've spent a lot of time working on my putting and chipping. Well, those two aspects of my game have dramatically improved. But now the rest of my game has suffered, my swing feels all discombobulated, like I've never swung a club before. Yesterday I couldn't even get a drive to carry 225 over water. The swings felt good, the contact sounded good, but both balls ended up hydrated. I'm taking divots so deep I swear I can hear a million Chinese men and women complaining about me rattling their side of the earth.I feel like I'm in dire need of some professional help, but sadly that is out of the budget at the moment

The one shining moment right now is one of my sons gave me a dozen Tour Yellow Srixon Q Star balls. I love them, the feel great coming off the club face, they check up nicely around the greens, and feel great coming off the putter face. For their price range they are the best ball I've ever played in the $25.00 range.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Hopefully, it wasn't 2 of the new QStar balls you sent to a watery grave????

We really need to get together and play. Sounds like we both have the symptoms of being bitten by the same snake... getting a little older. For years, I was one of the longest in our group. I went through a number of seasons, seeking the Holy Grail of drivers... as it seemed every one I tried refused to give me the distance I was used to. "S" flex, "R" flex, "X" flex... and even "Senior" flex... I tried them all. I threatened to buy a "ladies" driver, since I was hitting drives that made me feel as if I should be dressed in a skirt and bra. Nothing seemed to work.
What I didn't seem to notice was that the same old farts I'd played with, over and over and over, were losing some distance also. The young flat-bellies pounded it by us. Yet, at the end of the day, we old cusses could often card a much lower score than those beating it by us 50 yards off the tee. I began concentrating on mid-game and short game. Wow!! Once I seemed to put driving distance in the back of my mind... Once I seemed to not care if I hit a drive 200 yards because I was confident I could get up and down from 180 in... Once I refused to let the driving distance monopolize my entire time on the course, some of that distance has come back. Does that make everything "well" re driving? Of course not!! I'm still not totally pleased, but understand I'll never get back to where I once was with distance.
I'm still on the search for "that" driver. Took the day off today, to play. Our course is still closed due to ice/snow on the greens. If we can't find another course to play, I'll go "fishing" for a new driver. If we do play somewhere, I'll take what I have driver distance wise and still enjoy the round.
Keep practicing that short game. That is where you will excell over the competition, today. When someone in our group hits the short drive on a hole, we often call them "Chipper" for a couple of holes. That's because we take for granted, even with driver in hand off the tee, they hit their "chip shot" first. We are a rough bunch of ruthless renegades. No one escapes our chiding and chatter. However, being accused of chipping with your driver seems to infuriate me!! (The rest of the group knows it!!) I'll continue doing whatever I can... until fully bankrupt... to not ever be the shortest hitter in the bunch. Yet I know as I close in on 70 years old, someday just being able to be know as "Chipper" means I'm still out there enjoying this game!!!!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Sounds like you're swing is WAY TOO STEEP!!

Shallow it out a bit and enjoy the distance gained!!!

I was thinking the same thing. If you get too steep with your driver, you'll put more spin on the ball and that kills distance. Sounds like this could be your problem since your divots are so deep.

I would also listen to Limp, kill 'em with your short game. It's the only reason I can score and I'm a fairly long hitter. I just try to keep it in play and do my scoring around the greens. My buddies make fun of me all the time for laying up so often, but if I didn't I would have a lot of big numbers...cause I can hook the ball off the planet with my driver.

Good luck dub

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thanks Clark and Limp and Golfaholic. I shallowed up my swing and for the most part eliminated the monster divots. I was hitting my mid - long irons great today. The new sternum putter is really starting to come around. I drained one putt that had to be over 40 feet today. My playing partner even commented that he wished he'd have taped it. As far as the driver distance, I thik I got a bit carried away shortening my drivers. I got on this kick here a while back thinking i'd gain a lot of consistency. Well, I did gain some consistency with the shorter shafts, but I think I cut too much off and sacrificed a lot of distance. When I put the Whiteboard in the FT-IZ I'm going to leave it longer and see how that works out.

As far as the Q Stars, I love them. IMHO for the money they can't be beat. I was backing the ball up on the greens, and basically had it dancing all over the green with spin off my wedges, but with the Driver and fairway woods it had just the right amount of spin to give me a nice controled draw. If you haven't tried them out yet, pick up a dozen. For $24.99 you're not out that much money, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

🔥 Latest posts