• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Here goes nothin'

ginsu

can slice anything
Jan 19, 2006
Well, I did it. I walkled in to the shop today, and there was a set of DCI 990's on the used rack. 85 bucks later, I am leaving the world of big fat GI irons and taking a stab at real golf. I am so stoked, and at this point figure I am fated to play 990's. Time to practice!

Bossman641

Jan 10, 2007
I've been playing my 990's for like 6 years. I'll probably upgrade sometime soon but I haven't had the cash or the desire to spend money on a new set when I didn't play much.

They're not very forgiving on mishits distance wise but direction wise they're fine. I like the playability, if you can make the swing they can pull off the shot. I'm guessing they'll be a little shorter than what you're used to as the shafts are shorter and the lofts weaker than normal sets.

Great value for that price. Good luck.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Very nice! Post up pics, I love the look of em. Oh, and a review!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I did the same kind of thing, leaving my Cleveland TA-7's behind for a set of Tommy Armour 845 V-25's ($150 brand new), which are much more of a blade-type iron.

I ran into all the things the others talk about. Loss of distance but not direction on mishits. Lower ball flight, due more I think to the Dynamic Gold S300 shafts they came with.

But, I reshafted with Dynalite Gold R300 shafts, and I now absolutely love my irons. Much more forgiving than they look, and really sweet to hit.

Good choice on the 990's. Think about a reshaft if you don't get the ball flight you want. Made all the difference for me.

OP
ginsu

ginsu

can slice anything
Jan 19, 2006
Thursday

I'll get my first round in with them Thursday, so we'll see what happens. I'll post up pics and a review after that. They cleaned up really well. There are obviously a few dings here and there, but all in all they are quite nice. I'm looking forward to the new season even more now.

HighTopFade

Sep 1, 2006
Have fun with them. It will be a different experience.

I personally like the older irons with weaker lofts.

OP
ginsu

ginsu

can slice anything
Jan 19, 2006
yup

one of the best ways to learn how to play better is to play better irons.

That's my plan. The Super improver irons didn't, so instead of hiding my flaws behind ginormous paddles, I opted to make things (marginally) more difficult for my self and get my learn on. I'll let you know after Thursday how I feel about this decision in the cold hard light of a golf score....

🔥 Latest posts