• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hesitant to post this, but here goes.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I think I have finally found my holy grail.

I recently bought a TM tour burner and was hitting real well. I am swinging good right now and can hit almost anything well, but the burner was the best of the bunch. But.... theres always a but.

A few weeks ago I bought an Ozik code 6 shaft, in s flex from a guy at wrx's. Well the shaft came last friday and my burner was the course in my bag. So instead of going to get it I decide I will throw this shaft into something else. I really didnt want to mess with the burner anyways.

So I put the shaft in an r7425tp head I have lying around. Its 9.2*, almost a full degree open and I do like the look of it so I figured it would be a good test. I built it to 44.5 inches and a swing weight of C7 (based on MOI). Yes C7, my testing has shown this is the best swing weight at 44.5 inches for me as its all the MOI I can handle. Remember I am thin, weak and old.

So I built it, let it cure and go to the course. First swing was wow, do I like that ball flight. It went very straight and I missed that fairway as I was trying to hit a cut. The rough is long and I cant find my ball anywhere, even though it was only a yard or two off the fairway. Being that I am only screwing around I drop one and proceed. About 30 yards ahead I find my ball. I laser back to the ball washer on the tee and its 286 yards. Hmmmm.
Next hole is 428 yard par 4. I hit my drive and it look gorgeous in the air, lands and leaps forward like I have never seen and finishes about 15 yards in front of the 150 stake. Only once have I been past that stake and that was in a gale force wind. All round I was 10-30 yards past my normal drive areas.

So I get home and set up my LM and hit this thing. I hit 30 balls and was stunned at the numbers I was getting. I have never had numbers like this, especially spin to launch difference. For 30 balls I had an average of

swing speed - 103.44 mph
ball speed - 153.10
launch angle - 13.9*
spin - 2773 rpm
carry distance - 252.88
total distance - 277.18

18 yards total distance longer than anything else I have.

I am stunned at how well this OZIK shaft performs. It plays to about a firm flex in the TM head and just does an amazing job. I have never hit a shaft like this before. I hit the X-con before and liked it but it was nothing like this. It either didnt fit me or just isnt as good I dont know. The Code 6 is awesome and even though I want to try it in the burner head I dont want to break this club down so I may buy another code 6 if I can find one.

One last thing, this shaft is the 2006 version of the code 6 with the old paint scheme, not the candy finish. I dont know if anyone here has felt the finish on the old code series shafts but it is one bizarre paint finish. Feels like no paint I have ever felt, and simply looks awesome.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It's good thing you're a lefty or I'd be sending lots of Paypal to Canada. I've been considering the Tour Burner but the 425TP is one of the clubs holding me back... the other 2 are the regular TEE and a J33R 460.

Your distances are as good or better than mine at 108.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I can't imagine anything being better than my current driver, but an ozik is so intriguing. I wish I knew somebody close by with one so I could hit it. Those numbers are really good Lyle.

ps. Lyle: you should be getting a PM from me in a couple days with my stats so you can give me a TLT fit. I spoke with you in the past, so I know what you need. Can you send me your paypal address though?

Ez, you should give a bridgestone a try. I haven't compared it to a Tour Burner, but it has knocked the socks off all other Taylormades I hit it against, and that was before the creation, when I had a limey in it.

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Your distances are as good or better than mine at 108.

Its this shaft and how consistent it returns to the same spot at impact I tell you.

After 10 balls it looked like I hit one on the impact label. Just one after the other dead freaking center. I am a good ballstriker in regards to center face contact but this was freaking even me out. I was starting to wonder if the impact label was faulty. I also really like the r7425tp head. It really is a beautiful looking piece of work. Not too big, nice shape, nice color, and sits so nicely behind the ball. With this shaft it just looks the cats ass I must say.

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
So how much swing speed difference with your Burner ?
thats a good swing speedfor "old, weak and thin" :thumbs up:

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I have the same shaft in my HiBore XL and LOVE it!!!!!! It is a awesome shaft.

Mine must be an older one also, it's maroon and feels almost like velvet. Is that the way yours is?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I have the same shaft in my HiBore XL and LOVE it!!!!!! It is a awesome shaft.

Mine must be an older one also, it's maroon and feels almost like velvet. Is that the way yours is?
Compare it to the ProLaunch Red in my XL.

Please...

And do you think the Ozik is worth the $$$ for a 91-95mph swinger like me to invest in?

Frankly, I'm not sure I would see the benefit. I'm hitting fairways with the club as it is, and getting the ball out there quite nicely. I hate to chase perfection, since that can get very expensive.

But....I am a ho.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
The Prolaunch is a much more stable feeling shaft to me. I can really feel the kick of the Matrix as it unloads. The Matrix almost feels whippy until you load it. The ball seems to explode off the face, but my swing speed is between 108 and 110. So I'm not sure how it would work with your swing speed? I think I've got a picture where you can see how much I'm loading the Matrix shaft. When the stars and planets align I can really crush it with this combo, but when I miss it's a bad push. To be honest, if your hitting the Prolaunch as well as you say, I don't think I'd mess with it.
053108_4112.jpg
053108_4113.jpg

🔥 Latest posts