• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hey Buddha...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
...and the rest of you fellowIT geeks out there...

I was listening to this financial show, and they were speaking of an expected longterm trend in the job market. Looks like the expectations in the technology field are good. They say because the "baby boomers" are hitting the age of leaving the workforce, and the generation to take their place there has less people to take their jobs, there will be a huge demand for technology to make them more efficient. Long-term, things look pretty good.

Opinions?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'd have to agree.

Being an IT nerd myself, our division currently has 20 positions open for everything from desktop admin to networking to installation positions available. The old boys club that had been around for many years is starting to dwindle.

Good for those that have the experience, but in a couple years, there will be another boom, just like there is in nursing, teaching and environmental sciences. It all evens out.

R35

Quentin

How U Doin'?
Aug 27, 2004
Do you have a source bd? This is very interesting to me as I'm making a business proposal regarding IT where that info would benefit me. I'd like to have something in print.

~QQ

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
Hmmm. This is interesting. I'm a commodities trader, so I'm not sure how in tune I am with the industry. My brother-in-law is an IT geek and he's said the opposite.

Which financial show was this? Being in the financial arena, I find a lot of the talking heads on TV have forecasts that don't always pan out.

OP
bdcrowe

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
This is a local talk radio show who are usually not the rose-colored-glasses types. I'll see if I can come up with what's in print.

I'm seeing, as a programmer for a large insurance company that everyone here would probably recognize, that there is a huge push in the programming side to get as much productivity out of the business users through our efforts, which is resulting in fair and gaining positions for experienced developers.

Edit:

http://www.whomovedmyjob.org/files%5CTheComingJobBoom.pdf

This is a little dated, as of 2003, but it hints at what more anylists seem to be saying these days, and even at 2003 it seems to be projected to be happening through 2010.. It only touches on the fact that the tech sector will be driven by the lack of skilled employee supply, but I think this is the general sentiment-- especially considering the hype that the tech sector gets in it and the fact that 7 of the 10 fastest growing positions were tech positions. Either way, I feel fortunate to be making a decent living doing what I enjoy and it's nice to finally hear some good news about an upswing in IT. Also interesting was the perspective the report gave on offshoring. A good read.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Sounds cool.

I am into IT alot it is my favourite subject in school and I have picked it for 2 subjects and I'm going to go on and do advanced computer science, that would envolve programming etc.. I would like to get into something like this when I'm older.

OP
bdcrowe

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
buddha33 said:
Hmmm. This is interesting. I'm a commodities trader, so I'm not sure how in tune I am with the industry. My brother-in-law is an IT geek and he's said the opposite.

Which financial show was this? Being in the financial arena, I find a lot of the talking heads on TV have forecasts that don't always pan out.
Buddha, as an IT geek myself, your brother-in-law is getting the same stuff I have been hearing and repeating. I'm not sure if we are masochistic as a group, or if it just takes a negative personality to be a geek, or if corporate management feeds us this stuff to keep us quiet when raise time comes, or if it's all just true. But I can follow the logic of the projections here, and I'll hope for a half-full glass.

Quentin

How U Doin'?
Aug 27, 2004
The master said:
Sounds cool.

I am into IT alot it is my favourite subject in school and I have picked it for 2 subjects and I'm going to go on and do advanced computer science, that would envolve programming etc.. I would like to get into something like this when I'm older.

TM, you're going to have to improve your spelling. To succeed in IT, you need to be detail oriented to start.

Thanks for the info BD.

~QQ

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Quentin:

Playing any golf lately? Your courses should be open now..

Quentin

How U Doin'?
Aug 27, 2004
Hey Bravo,

I played my first round since last October on Friday. Had a 43 on the front and a 49 on the back. Very rusty and out of 'golf' shape. I lost all driving ability on the back 9. It'll take a few weeks to get into shape. Heck, I sweat a hat out and it was only 58 degrees outside. :) ...I was working too hard.

I envy those that can golf year round. Although it may be easier to burn out on it that way.

~QQ

Glad you are getting to play some...and I don't seem to burn out on it - as long as I limit it to once a week.

OP
bdcrowe

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Sure thing QQ, glad to see you BTW...

buddha33

aka Dick Ramser
Aug 31, 2004
Quentin said:
I envy those that can golf year round. Although it may be easier to burn out on it that way.

Nope. Never an issue. :D

When are you getting your pansy ass over to GR to stir up some trouble? ;)

Unless you're already over there in the form of Xero.

Quentin

How U Doin'?
Aug 27, 2004
I wonder if I'd burn out or not. I need to switch gears with my hobbies every so often and winter seems to be the perfect transition.

I was going to jump in on the surgery thread, but I held myself back. I'll only go so far. ;)

Also been very busy at work. I'm looking at closing a deal that would allow me to retire in 5 years...at the ripe old age of 44. Put in the time now and relax later. Have a condo in Florida or AZ for the winter and test out this burnout theory.

~QQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

🔥 Latest posts