• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hey- remember me? I'm getting new clubs

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
Being 6'2" has its advantages.... one of them is not golf clubs that are fit for you off the shelf.

Soooooo....... I'm getting new (fitted) clubs this year. I think what I have now is in my sig, and I shot a 52 average last year, thats on a par 35..... (17 over)

So that puts me at a high handicap. So I'm thinking GI or SGI clubs are what I want, right?

I just got the new Golf magazine, and looking at stuff (mostly callaway and ping because I have connections to get them discounted) what I'd want to look at would be something like this:

Driver:
Adams Tech a40S
Callaway FTiq
Callaway FT-9
Cleveland HiBore XLS
Cobra L5V
Cobra S9-1
Ping Rapture V2
Taylor Made r7
Taylor Made Burner

Woods:
Adams Tech a40S
Callaway FT
Cleveland HiBore XLS
Ping Rapture V2

Irons:
Adams Idea a40S
Callaway FT i-brid
Callaway Big Bertha
Cleveland HiBore XLi
Cobra S9
Ping Rapture V2
Taylor Made r7 CGB Max
Taylor Made Burner Plus

My putter now is good, I'll get it regripped and it'll be good to roll this summer. I like how it feels and it plays nice. The grip just sucks.

So anyways, anything else I should be looking at?

And FWIW I'm hitting a 7 150, all irons increment by 10, 5w is about 200, 3w is about 220, and if I hit the driver good its 230ish, but usually it dribbles down the line to the 180 mark.

And for club selection, I'm thinking Driver-3w-5w-3h-4h-5h-6i-7i-8i-9i-P-A-S any other suggestions?

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
Take note of how many times you need to hit your three and 5 woods while you play. As well as how many times you are in the fairway hitting a half or three quarter sandwedge. If you hit more short wedges consider an additional wedge if not then the set up you propose looks pretty good.

Also, clubs don't fit off the rack for anyone. Period end of story. I am also 6' 2" and I actually had to have my clubs cut down half an inch because my arms are so freaking long. So you are doing the right thing by getting fitted.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Don't restrict yourself to the newer stuff that you listed. Older, used clubs can be found cheap by browsing the forums, ebay, and Global Golf. None of my clubs are new, really, but I would compare the performance to pretty much anything.

The setup you have outlined sounds good, and you can't go wrong with any of those clubs either. But retail prices are the killer.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Of the drivers you listed, the Cally Ft-i is the most forgiving probably. The HiBore xli irons are forgiving, but butt ugly. If you are a sweeper they might work out for you if you can live with the looks. But if you take a divot, good luck with that fat sole on them. Fw's, I can't help you there.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
There is more to a club fitting than just length you also have to factor in lie angle and loft, shaft flex and material. When I said that clubs off the rack are not a fit for anyone this is what I meant.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Don't restrict yourself to the newer stuff that you listed. Older, used clubs can be found cheap by browsing the forums, ebay, and Global Golf. None of my clubs are new, really, but I would compare the performance to pretty much anything.

The setup you have outlined sounds good, and you can't go wrong with any of those clubs either. But retail prices are the killer.

I agree 100%. You could go for Hibores XL for example and save $200 on a driver and wood compared to buying XLS with no difference regarding distance or game play.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Being 6'2" has its advantages.... one of them is not golf clubs that are fit for you off the shelf.

Also, clubs don't fit off the rack for anyone.

Wanna bet? I'm 6'2"
Was going to say, I am 6' 1" and on my fitting by a Mizuno rep. My Mizuno clubs were in fact special ordered with standard lies and lengths. So being 6'2" will mean very little in relation to being able to use standard clubs off the rack. It it actually more related to the wrist to floor measurement if you were going to use a static fitting measure. I believe Wishon mentioned in his book he has fit 7 foot plus basketball players to clubs with flat lies. They have lanky arms.

Although there is really not even a "Standard" Lie among manufacturers. For example, Mizuno irons run about .7* to 1* different in lies from Pings in their standard lies.

Not saying in any way you should not get fitted, but whether you will use standard clubs is not out of the question. Chances are they will be changed in some way, buy you could even find you require flatter lies

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
I agree with MIKE1218. Don't go out an buy brand name clubs, especially if your average is 52 on a par 35. You are going to be one of those guys to comes to the course all pimped out in your nice stuff and then manages to top the ball on the first tee.

Save your money. But off brand clubs and use the rest of the money to take a few lessons.

I didn't let myself buy brand name clubs until my handicap was under 6.

🔥 Latest posts