• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hey Spank,

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
Alright, on one of my recent trips to the range, i took my video camera with me and filmed me hitting a driver and a pitching wedge, i notice with my driver i start my hips forward very early, now i contribute this to the impulse with the driver to swing harder and i can usually control this, but I feel that if my upper body was perhaps stronger i could control this motion much better, do you have any workout that you would recommend especially for your upper body?

thanks

:faintthud

S

spankdoggie

youngun5 said:
Alright, on one of my recent trips to the range, i took my video camera with me and filmed me hitting a driver and a pitching wedge, i notice with my driver i start my hips forward very early, now i contribute this to the impulse with the driver to swing harder and i can usually control this, but I feel that if my upper body was perhaps stronger i could control this motion much better, do you have any workout that you would recommend especially for your upper body?

thanks

:faintthud

Your upper body is the last thing you need to worry about with your golf swing. In Honolulu I saw that skinny kid (Howell III), and in real life is he skinnier than a 10 year old bulimic girl. He bombed the driver.

Here is what you got to do. Get a lesson just to double check your grip on the club. It all begins with the grip.

Strength has nothing to do with the syncronicity between the upper and lower body. Power comes from the hips, though; always remember that tip.

spankdoggie

P.S. If you want to know how to get a strong upper body (you are 15, right?) I can tell you quite a bunch of what you need to know and show you to websites that teach what you should be taught.

Most 15 year olds don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, but you are an extremely well spoken kid and, when I have the time, I will help you get the proper information that your peers do not know. I wasted a lot of time on all that Joe Weider crap for years when I was a kid.

How tall are you, length of limbs (long/medium/short); ... are you an ectomorph, mesomorph, or endomorph? I think I am an ectomorph as I graduated high school at a height of 5'11 1/2 inches, 129 lbs, and only 10.5 inch biceps flexed.

I must have a little meso in me though because I am pretty darn strong for an ectomorph, and am now 6 foot even, about 180lbs (I am now 35.)...

My brother was much skinnier than I was and my mom was ashamed to take him to family functions because they wondered if he was eating right. He is now 6 foot 4 inches tall, and a skinny 235 (my "little bro" is 33.)... We are late bloomers, I guess...

Rambling like the homeless man on 3rd street,

spankdoggie

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
I'm about 5'10 or 11 about 150-155 lbs medium-long arms and i'm sorry i don't know what those "morphs" are,
but i mean considering i'm fairly week comopared to most of my friends and yet i still pound it much further than i would be expected to, but distance isn't a concern of mine, all of this is meant to help my accuracy i'd take a 245 yd. straight shot everytime if i could hit it, i think i've got everything under control now though, i fixed the slice today and everything works great, although i have stepped up my own fitness regimen

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I don't necessarily believe that size matters when it comes to the golf swing. But strength does.

Having good strength in your upper body will equate to better control, posture and balance. In turn, you will develop over the coming years (being that Gun is only 15ish) and your swing will have to develop with it.

Strength training and mass gaining are two totally different things. The fact that Spank graduated at 130 and is now 50 lbs heavier might have something to do with his workout routine, but it also has to do with life. People naturally become larger, it's a fact. And those who don't work their asses off to keep fit will come to know this all too much.

But becoming strong makes you a better player. Look at Tiger. He was a lean kid that could hit it a mile because he was strong. Howell is another one. Bads too. All those guys can go deep with the likes of Vijay, Ernie and Phil, who are all different body types, but all big men.

If you work on strength training, it will pay dividends on the course, I assure you. Having the strength to put the clubhead through the rough without the face opening up is a skill that many long to have. Hands, wrists and forearms are often overlooked areas of ones body when it comes to this game. Don't get me wrong, power does come vastly from the les, but having a strong torso, back and arms helps with control and accuracy from shot to shot.

I'm not dogging what Spank was saying, just adding to it.

Cheers Gun, keep at it.

R35

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
As an extra note as well - flexibility is key. I'm extremely inflexible (if you've watched any of my vids, you can see I'm a "tad" on the chunky side...damn McD's...so I yearn for flexibility to help my golf swing).

I found this just yesterday and think that it'll probably quite helpful:

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=37102&dv=8720889&select=13481&select2=1

It's basically a TGC guide to all of the flexibility stretches we should be doing on a regular basis, as golfers.

Hope it helps!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.