• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hey y'all. New member from Atlanta.

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
New member here, but have been playing golf for many, many years....and I still stink at it...but I really, really love the game.

Used to play a lot years ago before family and job issues forced golf into the back seat. Like every year, this year I resolved to get out more often and rekindle the affair.

Found my way here through an internet search and know nothing about the place.

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
chollyred said:
New member here, but have been playing golf for many, many years....and I still stink at it...but I really, really love the game.

Used to play a lot years ago before family and job issues forced golf into the back seat. Like every year, this year I resolved to get out more often and rekindle the affair.

Found my way here through an internet search and know nothing about the place.

This, my friend, is your lucky day. Glad you found us. :)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Hi Cholly...this is a great site. I have participated in golf sites for the past three years and you landed on the best when you came here.

It's pretty much an electronic social club/coffee house with golf as the most discussed topic. We've got new playas, old playas, good playas and hackers.

I am over in Birmingham - not too far away and have several friends in ATL. Where do you play in there??

OP
C

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
Thanks for the welcome. I'm from Loganville, about half way between Atlanta and Athens. Cedar Lakes and Cherokee Run are just around the corner from my house.

Used to play Fieldstone CC in Conyers quite a bit, but they just ripped it out to build an apartment complex.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Georgia has so many great courses...

What is your vocation, age, etc??

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Welcome Cholly!

You'll find 2 or 3 other Georgians spending a bunch of time here.

OP
C

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
Bravo said:
Georgia has so many great courses...

What is your vocation, age, etc??

Sorry Bravo! Please excuse my bad manners.

I'm a 47 year old telecom manager that spends WAY too much time on internet forums while listening to inane conference calls, waiting on systems to regurgitate reports, etc.

I've been playing golf for about 30 years, but never with enough regularity to even maintain a handicap, much less be any good at it. I'm a perenial hacker that's always looking for that magic bullet that will give me long straight drives. My only saving grace is a good short game.

Married, 3 kids (4, 9, and 12). I spent a lot of the past 5 years coaching soccer, but have turned the kids over to someone else now. I'm trying to get the 12 year old interested in golf. I think I'll have better luck with the 4 year old.

I played drums in various types of bands for 20 years, and now strum a little guitar. My handle comes from Cholly (had a marine Sgt. that couldn't say Charlie around his cigar) and from my red guitar.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Hi cholly

in athens here, most important thing to remember on this site is always refer to the weather in Georgia so that all the canadians get jealous. It barely got over 70 today but still managed to get in about 50 holes- five on the back nine waiting for the partners, two rounds of 18, and then we went around the back nine one last time (finally had a decent string on the last nine with a 42)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
chollyred said:
Sorry Bravo! Please excuse my bad manners.

I'm a 47 year old telecom manager that spends WAY too much time on internet forums while listening to inane conference calls, waiting on systems to regurgitate reports, etc.

I've been playing golf for about 30 years, but never with enough regularity to even maintain a handicap, much less be any good at it. I'm a perenial hacker that's always looking for that magic bullet that will give me long straight drives. My only saving grace is a good short game.

Married, 3 kids (4, 9, and 12). I spent a lot of the past 5 years coaching soccer, but have turned the kids over to someone else now. I'm trying to get the 12 year old interested in golf. I think I'll have better luck with the 4 year old.

I played drums in various types of bands for 20 years, and now strum a little guitar. My handle comes from Cholly (had a marine Sgt. that couldn't say Charlie around his cigar) and from my red guitar.

Hey we've got quite a bit in common...I am 51 and have kids 15 and 9...I've played for a long time too...and while I never played in a band, I helped manage quite a few rock concerts when I was in college...

Like your screename and DouginGa is right about giving the Canucks a hard time about the weather...except in July and August when all of us around here are melting...

This place is a lot of fun...hope you will become a regular.

bravo

OP
C

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
DouginGA said:
Hi cholly

in athens here, most important thing to remember on this site is always refer to the weather in Georgia so that all the canadians get jealous. It barely got over 70 today but still managed to get in about 50 holes- five on the back nine waiting for the partners, two rounds of 18, and then we went around the back nine one last time (finally had a decent string on the last nine with a 42)

50 Holes?! Dang Doug, you must be an ironman. :wow:

What course were you playing? I've played Lane Creek a couple of times.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Hi cholly

Lane creek has turned to crap lately. new owners a few months ago may have backed out, but either way greens fees are way up, course conditions are way down (last I heard had three temp greens).

I had been on a highland walk at victoria bryant kick for the last three months (up in royston) but am back at sunrise in colbert now. have played chimneys and woodlake over near winder, and am hoping to get over to arrowhead pointe in elberton again soon (was rated #2 as best new public course in golf digest i think).
Yeah, 50 holes was kinda pushing it but was in the cart. My old man is 82 and walks 27 quite a bit.

contact me sometime and we can try chimneys or one of the courses near there if you want.

OP
C

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
Hi Doug,

Will look forward to it. I'm only 10-12 miles from Woodlake. But I'll go almost anywhere to play when I get a chance. A buddy and I are planning on taking a Monday off within the next week or two and playing St. Marlo. Supposedly they have a 2-fer special that'll let us play for $35. That'll be lmost 60 miles from the house.

🔥 Latest posts