• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hi from New York

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
United States United States
Hello.
I started playing in my early 30's, and that was 25 years ago. Back then, I was a huge fanatic - never great but pretty good. Thing is, I had a passion for the game.
Over the past 10 years or so my interest gradually faded - I never seemed to accomplish what I wanted - which was to play fairly consistently. As hard as I tried, I never could.
The past 3 - 4 years I've hardly played at all.
Last Saturday, I went out for the first time in a year - and had a really good round (for me). I shot a 102 on a difficult course (The Bethpage Yellow). I've always scored scrupulously - never giving myself 3 footers and rarely if ever improving lies - so the 102 is honest, if not that admirable. When I played a lot I would shoot in the low-mid 90's on a good day - or high 80's on a great day.
But, the scoring aside, I made many accurate shots, and it was surprising since, as I said, I haven't played at all or even practiced.
Yesterday I decided to play again. This time I went to Marine Park - a lovely links type course - and played poorly. After my first 2 tee shots which were really good, I didn't do much else the rest of the day.
Well, I'm a fanatic at heart so I registered on the forum just now, and I'll be checking in. I have more to say - some pretty funny experiences to relate, some pictures to post, and some jokes to tell.
I'll be around - I just wanted to say hi.

OP
Libre

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
Hey guys-
I live in Queens, New York City. From here I have access to (and have played) all of the public city courses, as well as the Long Island courses. Bethpage State Park is my favorite place to play - if you've never been, it's worth a trip to NY just for that. There are 5 courses - The Black (that's the famous one), the Blue, the Green, The Red, and the Yellow. I can't figure out which is the most beautiful - but the Black is certainly the most difficult - having hosted the 2002 US OPEN, won by TW.
Marine Park in Brooklyn is also a great course for a public setting.
Now that I'm playing again - well, I can't wait to get out again. Just wish I could hit it better, but I guess that's what we all want - all the way up to TW himself.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Hey guys-
I live in Queens, New York City. From here I have access to (and have played) all of the public city courses, as well as the Long Island courses. Bethpage State Park is my favorite place to play - if you've never been, it's worth a trip to NY just for that. There are 5 courses - The Black (that's the famous one), the Blue, the Green, The Red, and the Yellow. I can't figure out which is the most beautiful - but the Black is certainly the most difficult - having hosted the 2002 US OPEN, won by TW.
Marine Park in Brooklyn is also a great course for a public setting.
Now that I'm playing again - well, I can't wait to get out again. Just wish I could hit it better, but I guess that's what we all want - all the way up to TW himself.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm in Queens too. Play mainly at Douglaston Golf Course since it's about 10 minutes from my place.

Agreed regarding Bethpage. It is amazing for the price we pay. Played blue and yellow only, hope to play more (been playing almost a year now).

Definitely worth it for out of staters to check out Bethpage but I think they need to be accompanied by NY residents as only NY residents can make the reservations via phone.

OP
Libre

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
Definitely worth it for out of staters to check out Bethpage but I think they need to be accompanied by NY residents as only NY residents can make the reservations via phone.
Hey Johnny.
I've played Douglaston too, many times.
Driving across the chasm on the third hole is quite a challenge - but I can usually manage it if my slice is under control.
As far as BP, true about reservations, but I think anybody can walk up. You're taking pot luck, of course, but with 5 courses you can usually get out if you're patient. With the practice greens and a nice driving range, it's easy to spend an hour or 2 waiting if necessary. But there's no guarantee of getting out - the place can get crazy on a nice Sat or Sun.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Tell me about it. The lady at the check in counter told me that some people arrive at 3-4am to wait for an opening.

And talk about low low compression balls at the BP range. hahaha.
First time I hit those balls, I thought, what is going on with my swing, I ca't get any distance. :laugh:

When was th last time you played Douglaston? They've put alot of money into the course and redid it, looks really nice.

OP
Libre

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
I haven't played Douglaston in like 3 years at least.
I have to check it out.
Then, there's good (?) old Kissena.
First course I EVER played - and that was in the mid 1960's.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
My company serves police departments. For a year, I worked on a deal in Nassau County. I'd fly into LaGuardia and take the LIE out to Mineola. I drove right my Bethpage several times during my business trips.

Of course, from a monetary standpoint, I really wanted for us to get the deal done. And....I literally dreamed of being able to play BP Black after the deal was done while I was on a trip to see our new client.

Unfortunately, it all fell through. I was sick about it....

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
I can't wait to play Bethpage Black someday. I feel if I played it now, I would give up this game and break every club in my bag. I heard once the fescue grows in, it is absolutely brutal to the point where you don't even bother looking for your ball if it goes in. LOL.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
hello and welcome aboard from another NY`er.

although im way up north and no where near the city just the way i like it.prob. from growing up in the stix.

OP
Libre

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
I can't wait to play Bethpage Black someday. I feel if I played it now, I would give up this game and break every club in my bag. I heard once the fescue grows in, it is absolutely brutal to the point where you don't even bother looking for your ball if it goes in. LOL.
It's brutally difficult - no doubt about it.
Last time I played it was the season BEFORE they toughened it up for the OPEN - as though it wasn't hard enough! But I did get to play it half a dozen times, or so. The rough is knee high in many places. Many of your tee shots have to CARRY at least 220-230 (or more) to even put your ball on the fairway - and that's from the WHITE tees.
When you play the Black, you dispel any notions of having a great scoring round. And you also dispel any notions of breaking clubs or giving up the game. You're not there to conquer the course or master it. Instead, you feel privileged to even be there - and you love every minute - even if you may loose your entire stock of beat up extra balls in the bottom of your bag. You get to those after you go through your supply of your shiny new balls at the top of your bag. The best I ever scored on it was 108 and I was damned proud of it. Most of the other rounds I had on the Black were beyond reckoning, score wise.
I had wanted to play it for years, but I was daunted by the signs warning off duffers and hackers. Finally I decided to give it a try. I did well enough on the first 3 holes - which are special enough - but the first time you realize just how awesome the course is, is on the par 5 fourth hole. I stood on the tee, gazing off at the distant green - so far away, and with massive bunkers intervening. I shot an 11 on that hole.
You should give it a try one day - don't worry about how well you play it - it will be memorable, I promise you that.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.