• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hi...New to SHOTTALK

OP
MarkFed

MarkFed

Jun 17, 2013
New England
Country
United States United States
Hey Mark I have a swing question, kind of stupid situation but I figured maybe you'd have a idea.
I wear cowboy boots 98% of the time, so naturally when I started pretending to golf a year ago that's what I wore. Once I got hooked I broke out some shoes from the attic and play in those now.

The situation I've been fighting is I duff my clubs. All of them. Some days not much, others about half the time. When I do it could be an inch behind the ball or it can be 6-8 inches back. But when I wear my boots it's not a issue at all, I'll leave clean shallow divots if at all. So is the problem with my stance, swing, clubs to long or am I just an idiot?

Hey decicatedhacker...hard to say exactly without seeing you swing. Are the heels of your boots bigger than the heels of your shoes? If they are, and your used to swinging with your boots on, maybe you need to adjust for being a little closer to the ground. Again, hard to say without seeing your swing.
That being said, I'd definitely recommend getting a pair of golf shoes or a pair of sneakers for when you play. :)

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
Hey decicatedhacker...hard to say exactly without seeing you swing. Are the heels of your boots bigger than the heels of your shoes? If they are, and your used to swinging with your boots on, maybe you need to adjust for being a little closer to the ground. Again, hard to say without seeing your swing.
That being said, I'd definitely recommend getting a pair of golf shoes or a pair of sneakers for when you play. :)
I play in golf shoes now, have for a little while. I choke up on the irons thinking that might compensate and think it helps? Might just be in my head though.

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
First new thread... Aren't I cool.

Just to start a conversation- I believe Daly should play, not only for the fans, but he is playing as well as the top golfers in the world this year. He also seems like he may have gotten the tailspin his life was in somewhat under control...
The course I play often can't be hurt. Half of the pins are just holes in the fairway and the actual greens are practically sand with a little bit of grass. No such thing as a straight roll on a putt

OP
MarkFed

MarkFed

Jun 17, 2013
New England
Country
I play in golf shoes now, have for a little while. I choke up on the irons thinking that might compensate and think it helps? Might just be in my head though.

Again, without seeing your swing, the only other thing that comes to mind is that in my experience, golfers that don't initiate their downswing with their lower body tend to come over the top and swing from out to in and have a tendency to hit behind the ball

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Hey BigJim13...if you get a chance, check out the video at the bottom of this page:
http://gimme-golf.com/the-proper-golf-swing-plane/
I saw it in a forum I once participated in and thought it was one of the most fool proof drills/training aids that I've ever seen, so I emailed it to myself so I'd have it. Let me know what you think:) Make sure to note the positioning of them if you decide to try it. You could also set them up in your yard and just swing without hitting balls. As long as you initiate the downswing with your hips, square your club face through the impact area, and get to a full finish, you'd get used to it pretty quick.
That's a cool idea. I am going to have to try that!

i made my own swing aid also. It's like the Swing Trainer that Nicklaus endorses. By putting the ball under the club I have to swing from the inside and not OTT.

ImageUploadedByShot Talk1372714567.268398.jpg

OP
MarkFed

MarkFed

Jun 17, 2013
New England
Country
That's a cool idea. I am going to have to try that!

i made my own swing aid also. It's like the Swing Trainer that Nicklaus endorses. By putting the ball under the club I have to swing from the inside and not OTT.

View attachment 15969

I've seen a number of aids designed for swing plane, but what I think is different is that most all the other swing plane aids are built close to the ground. The noodles make you get on plane right from the top.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
You walked on a golf course in cowboy boots? Dude...
First time I stepped on a golf course was in cowboy boots and a sleeveless western shirt... with snaps instead of buttons. One of the snap closed front pockets held my pack of Kool cigarettes. That was circa 1979 or 1980. Was attending a funeral for one of my wife's grandparents. A couple of her uncles talked me into going with them as they walked 9 holes. I tagged along, stepping over goose poop while trying to figure out the sense of this stupid game. Sheesh! I was one of THOSE???!!!!!???? Yep!!!

🔥 Latest posts