• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

HiBore XL

J.T.

Jan 22, 2007
Yesterday I went to Edwin Watts and got fitted for a new driver. I was cluesless as what my swing speed and launch angle were because I had never been in a launch monitor. They turned out to be an average of 100 and 12.4*. I went with the Hibore XL 9.5* Gold stiff shaft. Then went straight to the driving range.
So far I like it.
I played 27 holes today just to get it broke in. I seem to hit it just a little further than my R5. First impression is that I am getting a higher ball flight with more carry/ less roll than I did with the R5.
Still getting used to the loud "pop" noise.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
How do you like that gold shaft? Did you try it with the red shaft? The gold shaft is mid/low kick for a higher trajectory then the red. If these came with more shaft options (VS Proto etc) I'd definitely look closely at them.

:)

OP
J

J.T.

Jan 22, 2007
I took a few demo whacks with the red shaft and it felt pretty good too. I do not recall the launch angle with with red. I just took the fitters advise and went with the gold. I am still in the "learning stage" when it comes to shafts and how the different characteristics affect flight.

bassman1308

old guy
Jan 24, 2007
J.T. - Warbird
I did the monitor thing thursday and ended up with the same 9.5 hibore xl with the gold stiff shaft. I'm just not manly enough to swing the red.:) My ss was 94, launch angle 13.5 and spin around 2800. The cleveland van had many different shaft / head combos to try and I tried several. Stiffer shafts made spin to low and the regular gold shaft increased spin to over 4000, about the same as my present driver. The cleveland van had many different combos to try and i tried several. As i'm getting older:real angry: , thought a regular shaft may be needed but not yet, according to the man. I've played 36 holes with it and it is like most the reviews say, hard to work and very straight. This is good. Very good. Not noticeably longer than my current cleveland 460, stiff graf blue, It does have a slightly lower ball flight and it is quite a bit louder. I have noticed the ball flight seems to favor a fade. Have you had that problem? I might be leaving the club face open during setup. It looks very closed compared to the 10.5* 460. Like it so far and with this straight hitting club it should make these fairways look wider and me less nervous on the t-box.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I tried it with the Red shaft and a 9.5* and launched it superlow and low spin. Didn't care much for it. I even brought it to the course as a demo. I got it to go about a mid-launch and fairly straight by the end of the round but distance was nothing special. It would barely be outdriving my 3W. Another guy on here, twofast, was with me and he smoked the thing. So it's a good driver for some guys, just not me.

Dewey_1011

Apr 19, 2007
I hit it in 9.5 and the red and to me it's the best driver I have hit so far. I am a ping man all the way but I took the Rapture with the proto, the 907d1, the hibore xl and the cobra x speed and I went with the hibore it just fit me very well.

WelshGolfer

aka Grand-Master-Duff
Jun 7, 2005
How do you like that gold shaft? Did you try it with the red shaft? The gold shaft is mid/low kick for a higher trajectory then the red. If these came with more shaft options (VS Proto etc) I'd definitely look closely at them.

WBL (or anyone else), I was just wondering about the shaft options statement. I was looking HERE and it seems to me that there are plenty of custom shaft options for the Hi-Bore XL. Or are these options "old-hat" shafts? I am just curious as I am thinking of jumping in on one of these. Cheers.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I had no idea you could get other shafts in the HiBore XL other then the "fit on" red or gold. If I got one it would probably be with the VS Proto.

WelshGolfer

aka Grand-Master-Duff
Jun 7, 2005
After looking at the choices I would be interested in hearing any thoughts on the Grafalloy Prototype NT 85 shaft (preferably with the Hi-Bore XL head).
This looks like a possible "upgrade" to my Launcher/Blue combo. It would be very helpful to know if this shaft has comparible attributes to the old blue as I am not in a situation to try before I buy.
No Cleveland demo days in Wales.:)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I can't imagine swinging an 85g shaft in a big-headed driver. Then again, my swing is a smooth 95mph. I've played the 65g version of the Comp NT and I liked the shaft. Tip stiff like the Blue, but with a much less "boardy" feel. Mid-trajectory, and quite stable. I just swapped mine out for an Epic (but only because I'm a sucker for new technology (once a geek, always a geek!)

🔥 Latest posts