• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

high loft driver w/ stiffer flexed shaft? opinion needed

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
i'm thinking about getting a 10.5* lofted j33r head to try the f7m2 (xflex) shaft.

i don't know where i heard this from, but lower lofted drivers will perform better w/ stiffer flex shaft and vice versa. makes sense somewhat, being able to swing a stiffer flex will make higher lofted clubs to balloon. or not being able to create lift (and thus launch angle?) by having lower spin from using stiffer flex.

if ballooning is caused soley by backspin, then wouldn't having a low spin driver (j33r) and low spin shaft (f7m2) bring down the flight hence needing a higher lofted head?

what do you guys think? is it advisable?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
launch angle, clubhead speed, and spin are all related
If you go up in loft to achieve a higher launch angle, you will generate more spin
if you go with a stiffer shaft to "decrease spin" you will lower dynamic loft at impact and reduce launch angle

It seems to me the easiest way for you to maintain launch angle and decrease spin would be a swing change.

Tutelman (a clubmaker/engineer) has been researching the impact of vertical gear effect on spin - the work is still in process, but theoretically, it seems to make some sense - I believe his conclusion is that lower loft club with a certain vertical face roll combined with a soft tipped shaft and high face contact could result in high launching low spin bombs

how realistic that is, i'm not sure - but i'm interested in seeming more launch monitor data
Here's a link to his stuff on VGE http://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/gearEffect5.php?ref=
Good luck!

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
It seems to me the easiest way for you to maintain launch angle and decrease spin would be a swing change.

In what world is a swing change easier than buying a new club? Finding the 'right' club isn't easy, I know, but I have never heard anyone suggest that changing a swing is easy.

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I wish I knew the answer to this one.

I have been struggling with hitting drives too high and with too much spin. I have a high swing speed 116 at 80% and 121 when I go full speed. My drives tend to be all carry with very little roll. I suppose in a perfect world I would be able to try a bunch of clubs with a variety of shafts and get it right combination of accuracy, distance both downwind and into the wind. Right now I have great accuracy and great distance when there is no wind or downwind but I really lose distance into the wind and lose some accuracy if I hang one out up high and it gets caught in the wind.

I just ordered an 8.5* to experiment with.

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
launch angle, clubhead speed, and spin are all related
If you go up in loft to achieve a higher launch angle, you will generate more spin
if you go with a stiffer shaft to "decrease spin" you will lower dynamic loft at impact and reduce launch angle

Tutelman (a clubmaker/engineer) has been researching the impact of vertical gear effect on spin - the work is still in process, but theoretically, it seems to make some sense - I believe his conclusion is that lower loft club with a certain vertical face roll combined with a soft tipped shaft and high face contact could result in high launching low spin bombs

how realistic that is, i'm not sure - but i'm interested in seeming more launch monitor data
Here's a link to his stuff on VGE http://www.tutelman.com/golf/clubs/gearEffect5.php?ref=
Good luck!

pretty interesting information.

swing change is in order.. but probably not too much.

my goal is to reduce spin but increase the launch angle. if i can get my spin down about 500rpm or so and increase the launch angle by 2* up, it'll be my optimal launch condition w/o swing change.

optimal condition was 2600rpm and 12-13* launch
current condition was 3200rpm and 9-10* launch

i do get few drives that are close to 300yd per round, but like of times i get 250yd drives due to ballooning of the ball (i've seen up to 4800rpm w/ my driver on a LM). i just want more consistancy and accuracy i guess, so little more loft and little more stable shaft came into mind.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
twofast;

That two-line paragraph thing you posted doesn't seem decipherable to me.

Anyway- theoretically, you could get the same spin from a low loft driver with a flexible shaft, and a high loft driver with a stiff shaft. Low loft + stiff shaft is going to produce a flat flight. High loft, soft shaft is going to produce a spinnier ball flight.

I was also going to reference Tutelman's article, but voila, there it is.

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
I wish I knew the answer to this one.

I have been struggling with hitting drives too high and with too much spin. I have a high swing speed 116 at 80% and 121 when I go full speed. My drives tend to be all carry with very little roll. I suppose in a perfect world I would be able to try a bunch of clubs with a variety of shafts and get it right combination of accuracy, distance both downwind and into the wind. Right now I have great accuracy and great distance when there is no wind or downwind but I really lose distance into the wind and lose some accuracy if I hang one out up high and it gets caught in the wind.

I just ordered an 8.5* to experiment with.

i do have 8.5* driver and i kill it. it's also xx-flex. this is usually my windy day combo that launches low but still w/ high spin rate (no roll).

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
twofast;

That two-line paragraph thing you posted doesn't seem decipherable to me.

Anyway- theoretically, you could get the same spin from a low loft driver with a flexible shaft, and a high loft driver with a stiff shaft. Low loft + stiff shaft is going to produce a flat flight. High loft, soft shaft is going to produce a spinnier ball flight.

I was also going to reference Tutelman's article, but voila, there it is.

that's what i meant to say.

so what if you have high loft and stiff shaft?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Have you shafted that F7M2 yet?

When you do, put it in a 9.5* head and this thread will be useless.

R35

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
Have you shafted that F7M2 yet?

When you do, put it in a 9.5* head and this thread will be useless.

R35

that's the thing, i kinda want to put it in 9.5* J33r, but the 460cc. i found 10.5* cheap, and just wanted to make sure if this was the right or better combo for me.

i have the shaft sittin in my basement ready to be installed... and then:killersmiley:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Put it in th 9.5* head and kill it. Long, flat bombs that roll out forever. It's pretty insane how good that shaft is. It will open your eyes, I promise.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Yeah, put that thing in the 9.5. I'm dying to try the 761 in my Cobra.
icon10.gif

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
Put it in th 9.5* head and kill it. Long, flat bombs that roll out forever. It's pretty insane how good that shaft is. It will open your eyes, I promise.

R35

yeah.. i need all the help i can get.. my eyes are small to begin with... LOL

Yeah, put that thing in the 9.5. I'm dying to try the 761 in my Cobra.
icon10.gif

yeah i'm dying to try this shaft too!

🔥 Latest posts