• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Highest MOI Driver, or Most Forgiving Driver?

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm with Bignose on this. I think that your taking the MOI aspect and running with it. When in reality it means little to nothing. Most of the drivers are at the max peaks of the set standards anyways. Try different shafts, as they make the biggest change in a drivers characteristics.

OP
1967GTA

1967GTA

I Love Cindy Mancini
Dec 23, 2009
you're right. i was thinking MOI had something to do with the feel of the driver. i just assumed the Monster and the Sumo 5900 had to have higher MOI's since they felt so much more forgiving (to me) than other drivers Ive hit. Even moreso than my ft-i and my Mizuno MX-700. im probably not explaining this very well, lol, but what im looking for is something that FEELS like the Monster, the Cobra L4V, or the Sumo 5900. with those 3 drivers, it just feels like no matter where you hit the ball on the clubface, it feels solid and just goes... so i guess i will just pick one of those 3 drivers to buy for him. probably the Cleveland Monster. and i'll probably get one with a loft of 12º instead of the 10.5º he is using now. thanks

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I got my FIL an Adams A4OS driver, with a softer flex for him, in 10.5* and I think it's one of the more forgiving drivers I've ever hit.

And it's $49 new.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
and i'll probably get one with a loft of 12º instead of the 10.5º he is using now. thanks

Good call on the 12º driver, if more folks would stop listening to their ego they would go up in loft as well.

OP
1967GTA

1967GTA

I Love Cindy Mancini
Dec 23, 2009
love your irons! the DCI 990's and Revolutions are 2 of my favorite sets ever. in fact, they are in my top 5 along with the DCI 962's, Maxfli A10's and my Precept Forged TP's

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Good call on the 12º driver, if more folks would stop listening to their ego they would go up in loft as well.

Yup. If he's hitting it 200-220 he'd probably be best served with a loft even higher than that, but I'm not sure if one could be found. Nike had "Lucky 13" 13° versions of the SQs that would be awesome for him. TGW still has them in the SQ2 5900 and 5000, for $150 and $130 respectively. They even have 16° versions that would probably be even better, but a number that high may hurt his feelings. I'll bet he'd rip the crap out of it, though.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
love your irons! the DCI 990's and Revolutions are 2 of my favorite sets ever. in fact, they are in my top 5 along with the DCI 962's, Maxfli A10's and my Precept Forged TP's

Love both of them, the lie angles aren't properly adjusted for me with the Revo's but can still hit 'em really well. The DCI990's are just fantastic, only looking to upgrade now, after 10 years of play. They've served me well, winning three champs and a hell of a lot more other events with them.

If I didn't get the 990's the 962's would've been my second option and I really don't mind the Precept Forged either. Haven't really seen the A10's to comment.

doof_d

Nov 28, 2009
Get as much loft as possible. Most of my drivers are 10.5, but I'm tempted to get a 12* head to shaft and try out. I'm sure higher loft will work out great for an older fellow.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
First off, don't get bogged down with high MOI claims from the OEMS....we've been testing and recording the MOI on the drivers (OEMS and Component) for about 2 years now...and the 5900 g-cm2 claims by Nike are all marketing...yes, the head does have a higher MOI than many...but no where NEAR approaching 5900..nothing does that we've tested.

However, you can manipulate the physical nature of the club to enhance and increase the overall MOI of the head....

Rockford gave you very good advice.....you can take lets say a head with a MOI of around 4400 (which we have found to be on the realistic High side of all heads tested....add weight to the back of the head and easly increase head MOI 10% up to around 4900....we found an added increase if dividing the weight and placing half towards the heel and toe of the rear of the crown...sometimes up to another percentage (i.e. 40g-cm2).

Now (Heres where Rockford's advice comes into play), you take your dads previous 45" of his driver which has a swing weight of say a D-0 to D-1 , reduce the overall length to a more comfortable and easier to swing 43-43-5", that, along with the added swing weight to the head will increase the MOI anywhere between 150-200g-cm2.

I would also mention that at your dads age and parallel swing speed, adding loft would certainly gain him added stance and stability.

🔥 Latest posts