• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Highlights / memories of The Masters

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Masters week has recently turned into a golf trip, so it makes it even more special to me. We play golf all day, then watch replays of the days events at night. Then, head out the day after and do it all again.

We eat like pigs, make crude jokes about each other's game and genitalia, and laugh all day. Then, our hearts are crushed when Bubba wins - again.

Master's Week is one of my favorite weeks of the year, but the trip solidifies that even more.

I even love the lead up to it, the anticipation and the disgust that people have of the "old school" mentality of the Augusta National institution. Those people simply don't understand what the Masters is, what it stands for, and what it means to the average golfer.

I read a quip on another site where it was asked of the community whether they would pay $5000 to play Augusta one time.

I said no.

I wouldn't. I love the story book, nursery rhyme, fable filled, untouchable concept of this land of golfing Oz that is AN. Paying money, of all things, to take away that sense of whimsical fantasy is not up my alley.

Sure, I would LOVE to play AN. Who wouldn't? But I would like to earn my way there. Either by my game (LOLOLOLOLOLOL!) or by myself as a man. I would love to be able to earn or do something to find my way through the hallowed gates. To be recognized as an individual, instead of a number on a reciept.

Wouldn't that just be something?

"Honey! I just got invited to play Augusta National!"
"What about your sister's wedding?
"F*CK HER!"

:D

T

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Masters memories... I never picked up a golf club until I was almost 40 years old. Didn't watch golf on television. Had no interest in the game. In the mid-70's, my Mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She fought it for 10 years before leaving us in 1986. Every Spring, my Mother would watch The Masters. My folks didn't have a color television until, IIRC, 1981. She would watch it every year in black & white. When they got the color tv, she called me on Masters Saturday. "See, I always knew those azaleas were simply beautiful! Now I can see them in their true colors!"
She never was on a golf course. My folks were poor dirt farmers. She never played the game. Probably would never have had the money to spend on green fees if she would have had a chance. Yet, she always wanted to watch The Masters and dream about the azaleas.

That's my favorite memory of The Masters.....

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Masters memories... I never picked up a golf club until I was almost 40 years old. Didn't watch golf on television. Had no interest in the game. In the mid-70's, my Mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She fought it for 10 years before leaving us in 1986. Every Spring, my Mother would watch The Masters. My folks didn't have a color television until, IIRC, 1981. She would watch it every year in black & white. When they got the color tv, she called me on Masters Saturday. "See, I always knew those azaleas were simply beautiful! Now I can see them in their true colors!"
She never was on a golf course. My folks were poor dirt farmers. She never played the game. Probably would never have had the money to spend on green fees if she would have had a chance. Yet, she always wanted to watch The Masters and dream about the azaleas.

That's my favorite memory of The Masters.....
That's a truly beautiful story.

IG I loved that OP I am only a recent comer into the whole "watching golf thing" last year was my first full season watching, but I think my favorite torney to watch is the British, just the creativity of the shotmaking is incredible, also paired with the history of the game, and the funky links layouts. The masters is a close second, but it's mostly to see the course at its prime state, there is just something about that course that is simply mesmerizing.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I would love to be able to earn or do something to find my way through the hallowed gates. To be recognized as an individual, instead of a number on a reciept.

At one point in my life I almost got involved with a small Scottish company called Strokesaver, who produce golf yardage books. The guy who set the company up had produced books for a lot of the Open venues in the UK. It was a passing interest until Tom Watson was noticed on TV using one at the Open in Muirfield in 1980. The TV commentators all were buzzing about this booklet. Next thing the phone was ringing off the hook. A few years later he got a letter from Augusta National inviting him to the club. They asked him to do a booklet for the course. He said he was pinching himself when he first drove down Magnolia Lane. But he said he had zero input into pricing / terms etc. He was told to do a book for AN, he was paid a price for doing it and he had to pass all copyright to them. It was a non-negotiable, take it or leave it offer. He took it! And spent a considerable amount of time personally overseeing it on-site.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
At one point in my life I almost got involved with a small Scottish company called Strokesaver, who produce golf yardage books.

Uh huh. Strokesaver, eh? :D

Great story, sort of.

I'm not sure I'd want to get in there being bent over by AN. I was angling more towards networking the right people and getting invited. But, I would take either way. Just to be invited to play, one way or the other, would be a memorable event.

R35

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Uh huh. Strokesaver, eh? :D

Great story, sort of.

I'm not sure I'd want to get in there being bent over by AN. I was angling more towards networking the right people and getting invited. But, I would take either way. Just to be invited to play, one way or the other, would be a memorable event.

R35
Just be honest, we would all blow Billy Payne just to smell his Azaleas.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.