• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hips or no hips??

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Some technical swing rants....

Everytime I start the downswing with the hips, I make a lot of mi****s, shanks, thin, top, fat, push, you name it. That is, my hips are way open, and hands and clubs are lagging far far behind.
But when starting the downswing with my arms and hands, I am much more in sync, and get solid contacts. I still do weight transfer, and at impact my hips are open, my shoulders are square and facing the ball, which is cool.

Anyways, that is to say that when I read some of the stuff on the modern swing where one has to start the DS by turning the hips to the left, I just shake my head in disbelief... (okay it doesn't work for me, doesn't mean it shouldn't work for you....).
:confused:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Hmm.

Having never seen your swing, it's hard to visualize where you're going wrong.

If i had a tip from my own game, it would be that I visualize myself as having my hips 2/3's of the way through full turn at impact. That is, i still have a full 1/3 to go as I make contact with the ball. This is my "getting the junk through the zone" feeling.

If i'm lagging, i push. If i'm too far ahead, i feel what you are describing.

Don't know if this helps any.

Cheers,

R35

OP
L

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
That is exactly it!
When I start with the hips, at impact, hips are completely facing the target at impact. When starting with my arms, i'm exactly like you describe also.

I know I am very agressive with my hips, and getting them to be quiet is a daunting task.

You know, you should forget about the Cayenne and get the new 911 Carrera. :thumbup:
When I'll be a millionaire, I'll get you a Toyota. :canada:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
A Toyota. Great......lol.

How about a 911 Carrera? ;)

If you're getting me a Toyota, i'd like a 1996 Supra Twin Turbo, in silver please and thank you. :D

As for the hips, try the "press move" as I call it. Put yourself into impact position with the head of the club just behind the ball as if you were hitting it, and adjust your hips to where you think you'll gain the best power and control out of it. No work your way back slowly until you get the feel of consistency. Start slow with the back swing, frequently bringing the face back to impact with the hips as you like them.

Sometimes, working backawards really helps you realize what's wrong with your swing. Don't worry about arms, or wrists. That will come as you keep that impact position solid. Now hit a few balls. Don't expect to be Nicklaus first time out. Practice will iron out any wrinkles.

Nice work Loop. It'll come around when you see yourself hitting great shots!

I'll check out the Carrera, just to be safe. ;)

r35

OP
L

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
I can get you a Supra Twin Turbo. The only problem is that one can notice easily that the only thing resembling in the car is the logo "Supra Twin Turbo" in the back. But you can be sure it's a Toyota.
And since I'm not much of a german fan, what about a Nissan Skyline?

I'll try your drill. And you're right, imagination and visualization are defintely the keys to better ball striking. Funny thing is, at the start and middle of the season, I was an okay Iron Ballstriker. Now it's to the point that it's worst than worst and am just struggling to hit the ball
:eek:

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Loop:

the hips are the key to power.

I play with a fellow who is 5'7" 160 lbs and he can hit it 300 yards.

Oh yeah - he's 48 years old too.

He has this massive movement down and through with the hips - starting at the top.

Years ago, I stopped trying to hit it by him. I am known as a pretty good hitter at my club (especially in my age group) and he just blows it by me...

Try the rock drill. Its a good one.

OP
L

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Bravo, that is one amazing feat your friend has. And I'm 5'8" with a lot of flexibility. My goals are more modest, as I'd like to get an average of 280 yard (currently at 250). Back to the range then.
Thanks for all the encouragement guys, I appreciate it :)

Members online

No members online now.