• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hips?

grazo

slacker hacker
Aug 31, 2004
Hey Guys,

Had my second ever lesson on the weekend, and for the first time I saw my swing on video - and I wasn't too disappointed with what I saw BTW. I get in some nice positions at the top of the backswing, but my setup leaves a lot to be desired...

Anyway, the instructor showed me on his PC how my swing compares to the pros, and the one thing we noticed was how I don't transfer my weight onto my front side during the downswing. I always thought sliding the hips laterally was a bad thing, but when you watch Tiger do it obviously it's not!

My question is: how much is this lateral move of the hips a conscious thought in your swing, if it is at all? And what is the sequence you follow from the top of the backswing? Do you feel like your hips move and then the clubhead follows as you turn your upper body towards the target? Or is it more of a sensation of hips and turning of the torso happening at the same time?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated...

:smilie_tm

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
grazo said:
Hey Guys,

Had my second ever lesson on the weekend, and for the first time I saw my swing on video - and I wasn't too disappointed with what I saw BTW. I get in some nice positions at the top of the backswing, but my setup leaves a lot to be desired...

Anyway, the instructor showed me on his PC how my swing compares to the pros, and the one thing we noticed was how I don't transfer my weight onto my front side during the downswing. I always thought sliding the hips laterally was a bad thing, but when you watch Tiger do it obviously it's not!

My question is: how much is this lateral move of the hips a conscious thought in your swing, if it is at all? And what is the sequence you follow from the top of the backswing? Do you feel like your hips move and then the clubhead follows as you turn your upper body towards the target? Or is it more of a sensation of hips and turning of the torso happening at the same time?

I personally think little about the hips for my backswing. The upper-body should be connected-- pretty much, the sensation of everything moving in unison. But the hips should be a non-factor. They should move only as much as the upper-body moves them.

The downswing is a different story. A small step-- or "drop"-- into the leading foot should start things, then with the hips driving the swing.

That's my understanding, anyways... Good luck.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
grazo said:

I let myself think about it when I'm practicing, but if I start consciously thinking about my hips starting the downswing when I'm playing it leads to some pretty scary shots.

Some of the other guys can give a better technical answer but here's my take. While the hips trigger the downswing it is more a sensation of everything happening together after that. It's never more noticable than when my back starts to stiffen up. The hips stop moving and the swing goes straight to he**.

OP
grazo

grazo

slacker hacker
Aug 31, 2004
Thanks guys

it's as I suspected but I did want to hear it from someone else

cheers

;)

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
grazo said:

Hi grazo!

I've been working arduously on my hips for some weeks now. I'd like to think that I have the sensation of the hips and torso turning at the same time. For very flexible people like me, there is no problem getting a 90 degrees coil in the backswing. In the downswing, when I only rotate my hips, the coil between the hips and shoulders doesn't unwind, as it should.
So rotate both your hips and torso at the same time in the DS, and you'll get that power coming from the core. :golf:

OP
grazo

grazo

slacker hacker
Aug 31, 2004
Loop said:
Hi grazo!

I've been working arduously on my hips for some weeks now. I'd like to think that I have the sensation of the hips and torso turning at the same time. For very flexible people like me, there is no problem getting a 90 degrees coil in the backswing. In the downswing, when I only rotate my hips, the coil between the hips and shoulders doesn't unwind, as it should.
So rotate both your hips and torso at the same time in the DS, and you'll get that power coming from the core. :golf:

Loop,

This is interesting. I think I understand what you mean, but are you aware of your hips moving towards the target as well, and not just unwinding?

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
grazo said:
Loop,

This is interesting. I think I understand what you mean, but are you aware of your hips moving towards the target as well, and not just unwinding?

It's actually both, but the lateral hip movement is slightly small. When you emphasize too much lateral movement, the tendency is for your head to move to the left also, which brings the head ahead of the ball at impact (instead of being behind it).
In the DS, try to shift your weight on the inside of the left foot.
When you see the pros swing, at the moment of impact, their left leg is almost straight as a wall.

Jeff Gallo

Swing Guru
Aug 26, 2004
I would be very hesitant to say that the hips start the downswing because it can lead not to a sliding motion but rather to an early turn. Thus robbing you of the power the turn of your shoulders supplies you with, and blocking your hands out of the swing.

I will instead be more abstract and suggest that you feel your wieght gently follows the clubhead through your swing. But always be sure that most if not all of your wiehgt is on your front foot at your finish (such that you could even lift your back toe off of the ground), if this is so then your body has made at least enough lateral motion. do not ask how to make that motion just ask how much and your body will sort it out on its own;)

good luck

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
I have to agree with you on this one Jeff. Sometimes, I find starting with the hips needs much more timing and synch focus than anything else.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Hogan felt that the start of the movement at the top was with the knees. A forward movement of the knees toward the target line.

Then the hips followed.

The hips are the major source of power in golf. Clearing the hips in advance of the arms and hands will create power and should lead you to have your weight on your left side as you finish.

If you do not have the weight on the left - this will lead to the dreaded Reverse Pivot.

good luck and try the knees as your first move down.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
I'd love to start with the knees and hips. But most of the time, I get sync problems resulting in lots of mi****s especially with the irons. I think what happens is at impact, my chest is a little open at the target, topping the ball.
Maybe when turning my hips, I turn the shoulders too fast??

Whereas when starting more with the arms, at impact, shoulders are square, hips are open (I still do the weight transfer).

Normally, I drive at an average of 240-250 yards. Yesterday, I made a swing with the hips, everything in sync, and made 310 yards. Other than that, the rest of my drives were slice and push, and not quite powerful. I've been working on the hips for 6 weeks, and am inconsistent most of the time. It is frustrating, since now, I don't know what to do... :confused:

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Loop, do you have Hogan's Five Lessons? If so, you might want to look at page 90 & 91. He states pretty clearly that it's the hips that initiate the downswing. Not everyone has the same idea though. The last time I took lessons, the pro wanted me to start it with my right knee. Anyway, in the book there's a neat little drawing of a golfer with an elastice strip attached to the left hip for a mental image of what he means.

For me it's the kind of thing I have to work on at the range and not at the course. Small brain thing I guess. :sobbash:

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Dave, of course I have the book and read it at least 5 times. I just have major synchronization problems :sobbash:

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Loop said:
Dave, of course I have the book and read it at least 5 times. I just have major synchronization problems :sobbash:

Should have known you would have it. I can relate to problems with sync. Somedays I think, maybe bowling.........

OP
grazo

grazo

slacker hacker
Aug 31, 2004
Loop

I understand your frustration - I am living it right now. I feel like starting the downswing with my hips actually encourages a shot to the right - which is what I am trying to erase from my game! I feel like I am in-between swings at the moment and that aint no fun...

:mad:

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online