• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hips?

Jeff Gallo

Swing Guru
Aug 26, 2004
most syncronization problems begin with trying to swing through positions and make individual motions such as those described in Ben Hogan's Five Lessons. learn instead to use the club, feel what it is for you to swing through the only position that matters, impact. Then learn your own golf swing the way it develops. you cant read your way to a better golf swing. but dont get me wrong, im not trying to say its wrong or that its never useful or interesting to read a great's ideas. all im trying to tell you is that a book which uses words like pronation and supintation is probably not the best place to look for a quick swing thought for the range.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Jeff,

I've taken your advice on how the hands should work (with also the help of AJ Bonar... And I thought he was a quack, I was wrong) and finally got it!
I couldn't do the supination at impact because in my downswing, the clubface used to be square or closed, and was paradoxically open at impact. Now I find it much easier to have the clubface go from open to square at impact.
Also when I use the hips and knees in the downswing, my right heel lifted at impact. This would lead to my hips lunging forward at the ball, thus losing the spine angle at address and create mi****s. Now, I try to maintain that right foot firmly stuck on the ground in the downswing. I still make my weight transfer though.
I had a swingplan while getting to the range today and it really paid off. :thumbup:
The only drawback is that was 8 degrees C, not exactly kind temperature on your hands...

Jeff Gallo

Swing Guru
Aug 26, 2004
glad i could help, I have never thought AJ Bonar was a quack but he has been wrong and he certainly hasnt discovered anything miraculous. for an example of being wrong, one person hitting a fade and another hitting the ball straight are not the same in the impact zone. but anyway Im very happy youve sorted things out. but that is some harsh weather wow!

Jeff Gallo

Swing Guru
Aug 26, 2004
glad i could help, I have never thought AJ Bonar was a quack but he has been wrong and he certainly hasnt discovered anything miraculous. for an example of being wrong, one person hitting a fade and another hitting the ball straight are not the same in the impact zone. but anyway Im very happy youve sorted things out. but that is some harsh weather wow!

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Actually, the only thing in AJ I was referring to was his phone drill something. All the rest I don't remember. Of course, he hasn't discovered anything new. But I was reading the book from Jack Nicklaus on how he played golf. And it's basically the same thing, in how he tells in the DS that the clubface is going from open to square at impact.
Thanks again Jeff, I'm already starting to enjoy my last rounds of golf this year. Not to mention that I've just seen Bagger Vance (for the fifth time). :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.