• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Historic Win

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
On Sunday past we played Royal Portrush (top 20 course in the world, blah, blah, blah.)

It was 7-best players in our club vs. theirs. I was out #4 vs. a 2-handicapper.

4-down at the turn after starting with 4 bogies in first 5 and having 2/3 horrible lies I was starting to think "let's reduce this to a respectable defeat margin."

Back nine came and I go "birdie, par, par, birdie, par, par, birdie, birdie, bogey" to win 1-up. What d'ya think o' that ?!? :D

We ended up beating them 6.5 to 0.5. Our last man was out on the course and was 2-up with 2 to play. If he'd have beaten him I don't think 7-0 would ever have been forgotten about in our Club's history.

Best part of my game was chipping in from the rough on the 16th; that was in front of the players from the 1st and 2nd matches; 2 X Scratch men and two +1, two of which are Irish Internationists.

That's 2 games I have won out of 2 in these games now. Was about to go 3-down the week before and holed a 25-footer for my opponent to 3-stab and the match to go back to just 1-down. Quality...!! :D :)

ScratchtoScratch

Mar 14, 2007
Fantastic stuff! Amazing back nine. I've never played it but walked it a couple of years ago for the Seniors Open.

That's serious shooting - what do you play off?

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Brilliant play Andrew. Way to hang in there when the going got tough...

Frame your card and put it on the wall in your bathroom to remind your wife of your golfing prowess...

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Fantastic stuff! Amazing back nine. I've never played it but walked it a couple of years ago for the Seniors Open.

That's serious shooting - what do you play off?

Am up to 3 now, lad. Wanna work hard at it and try and get to 1 or 2 again, though. Easier said than done, right enough !!!!

Where abouts you from, lad...? Btw, the greens were bad then and are bad enough now, too. Still one of the very finest Links courses anywhere, though..:)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
On Sunday past we played Royal Portrush (top 20 course in the world, blah, blah, blah.)

4-down at the turn after starting with 4 bogies in first 5 and having 2/3 horrible lies I was starting to think "let's reduce this to a respectable defeat margin."

Back nine came and I go "birdie, par, par, birdie, par, par, birdie, birdie, bogey" to win 1-up. What d'ya think o' that ?!? :D

We ended up beating them 6.5 to 0.5. Our last man was out on the course and was 2-up with 2 to play. If he'd have beaten him I don't think 7-0 would ever have been forgotten about in our Club's history.

Best part of my game was chipping in from the rough on the 16th; that was in front of the players from the 1st and 2nd matches; 2 X Scratch men and two +1, two of which are Irish Internationists.

That's 2 games I have won out of 2 in these games now. Was about to go 3-down the week before and holed a 25-footer for my opponent to 3-stab and the match to go back to just 1-down. Quality...!! :D :)

And you are selling those clubs????

You are awful...

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I know, lad :(

What do you reckon: 5 or 7-dayer...??

ScratchtoScratch

Mar 14, 2007
Andy - I'm in Bangor but grew up in Portstewart - I know the area very well. My brother still lives at the end of Prospect Road.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004

Some back nine lad. Impressed with the bird on 16.

ScratchtoScratch

Mar 14, 2007
Which end? I'm in West Avenue.

They are at the Convent end. They live in one of those two big houses stuck right at the start of the road on your left as they drive in. The site is probably worth about £700 million the way house prices have gone up there:)

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
They are at the Convent end. They live in one of those two big houses stuck right at the start of the road on your left as they drive in. The site is probably worth about £700 million the way house prices have gone up there:)

Is your brother Patrick, optician? Small world if it is. He is our neighbour. Wow.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online