• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hit impulse

Grandpa K

Aug 23, 2019
Country
United States United States
My game has gone to hell because of a golf hit instead of a golf swing. I make a nice smooth backswing, get to the top and then at the transition the caveman mode comes out and I swing hard and out of control. I practice on the range and things are under control but put a course in front of me and all hell breaks loose. The results are usually snap hooks with a finish that is more off to my left side than over my left shoulder. Anybody had this? If so what do you do to cure the affliction?

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
My game has gone to hell because of a golf hit instead of a golf swing. I make a nice smooth backswing, get to the top and then at the transition the caveman mode comes out and I swing hard and out of control. I practice on the range and things are under control but put a course in front of me and all hell breaks loose. The results are usually snap hooks with a finish that is more off to my left side than over my left shoulder. Anybody had this? If so what do you do to cure the affliction?

It’s all about firing the left hip. It’s something I’m working heavily on at the moment. Everything follows the firing of the left hip. If the hip doesn’t fire it almost guarantees an armsy over the top shot.

Hip/trunk/chest = big muscles. Arms = small muscles. The swing is about using the big muscles.

Have a look at this Instagram demonstration by a Russian former touring pro. She explains the firing of the hip beautifully.
Maria Verchenova on Instagram: “Let’s talk about your hip work, I think you might know about what I am talking, but many people believe that it’s just turn and turn.…”

Last edited:

Trying to mprove

Aug 25, 2019
Country
Thanks for the two really good responses. I’m not anything like the guy in the first video with tempo and I come over the top like she describes not to do in the second video. Looks like I can key on some things to work on. Thanks again!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Thanks for the two really good responses. I’m not anything like the guy in the first video with tempo and I come over the top like she describes not to do in the second video. Looks like I can key on some things to work on. Thanks again!

In keeping with what Maria says about transition to the left side. Have a look at Rory McIlroy’s bump to the left when transitioning to the downswing. Having said that, I do like Maria’s explanation.

TPI on Instagram: “Rory describing his swing to @meandmygolf. As @jasonglasslab says, “Load and Explode.””

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
After shooting some of the best golf of my life in July I went through this. Pay attention to keeping your head from moving and (for me) it's went away.

Members online

No members online now.