• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hit one left handed...

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Yesterday my tee ball was a little left on the 3rd hole.. no biggie.. there's a few mid-sized trees over there but should be fine. Got up there and my ball was about an inch from the tree on the right side. ONLY two options were to hit it backwards... or play it left handed. Well.. I suppose I could have taken an unplayable but there was really no point in that. So I flipped my 50* over and played it left handed... it really wasn't all that good... managed to advance it about 20 yards into the fairway which was what I could realistically hope to expect.

Anyone ever done this? I've seen a couple of the pros do it, Tiger and Phil and such... all I can say is mad props to them... that's TOUGH! lol

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I have never had to do that...if its anything like attempting to bowl opposite handed, i can only imagine its extremely tough.

I have witnessed 1 truly ambidextrous bowler in my life, and his average opposite handed was still 20-25pins lower than his strong hand.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I've done that a handful of times. I give myself plenty of opportunities.

You'll have to experiment with taking some outlandish swing paths. Like straight up away from you, or incredibly inside. In situations like that just advancing the ball in play is a good shot, so you can get pretty crafty. I've hit a 105 yard shot and put it on the green with the ball not 3 inches away from my toes.

You also could've stood in front of the tree and played the ball about 3 feet back in your stance; sort of just hacked down on it.

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
You also could've stood in front of the tree and played the ball about 3 feet back in your stance; sort of just hacked down on it.

I actually did think of that, but it was literally about 1-1.5" away from the tree... wouldn't have been enough room between the hozel and the club face. I've hit shots before kind of like that where I have my legs on one side of the tree and my arms on the other lol. Trust me if I thought I had any shot at all at getting the clubface on the ball right-handed I would have! :)

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
All the freaking time, unfortunately!!! I play off 17 right handed though so I am slightly skilled at it... Nigh on impossible to hit a fade though! :D

Drilled a couple of flipped over 7 & 8 irons in the 160 yard range and I think I max out with 5 iron at 180ish if everything goes to plan. Too hard to hit anything below that.

One of my greatest shots ever was a flipped over 60* from about 40 yards. Picked it up perfect and took one hop and stopped dead about 4 inches from the cup. Tap in birdie, as easy as you like. :prop:

Playing partners love it when you pull it off. Laugh like bastards if you don't though...

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
All the freaking time, unfortunately!!! I play off 17 right handed though so I am slightly skilled at it... Nigh on impossible to hit a fade though! :D

Drilled a couple of flipped over 7 & 8 irons in the 160 yard range and I think I max out with 5 iron at 180ish if everything goes to plan. Too hard to hit anything below that.

One of my greatest shots ever was a flipped over 60* from about 40 yards. Picked it up perfect and took one hop and stopped dead about 4 inches from the cup. Tap in birdie, as easy as you like. :prop:

Playing partners love it when you pull it off. Laugh like bastards if you don't though...

haha yeah mine was NO where near pretty.

shane0mac1234

Jul 21, 2009
In some old Buick commercial where Tiger comes up to a foursome and pretends he left his wedge then plays them all in a closest to the pin contest and winner takes a new buick. One time Tiger took some guys lefty club flipped it over and hit it off the tee and from the looks of it it wasnt a completely horrible shot haha

295yards

May 5, 2009
Yesterday my tee ball was a little left on the 3rd hole.. no biggie.. there's a few mid-sized trees over there but should be fine. Got up there and my ball was about an inch from the tree on the right side. ONLY two options were to hit it backwards... or play it left handed. Well.. I suppose I could have taken an unplayable but there was really no point in that. So I flipped my 50* over and played it left handed... it really wasn't all that good... managed to advance it about 20 yards into the fairway which was what I could realistically hope to expect.

Anyone ever done this? I've seen a couple of the pros do it, Tiger and Phil and such... all I can say is mad props to them... that's TOUGH! lol

I'll look to see if I can find the video tip, it is really useful and easy to perform.

Basically, you can stand facing backwards to where you are going to shoot and hold the club in your right hand only. All you do is just raise your hand up and chop back down. You can hit a good enough shot to punch up the fairway quite a bit.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Using a righty club to hit left handed seems quite a feat.

Played with an older gentleman - 65+ - named harold I think up, a the VFW course in hartwell GA. Seems he has made several holes-in-one on a par three on the back nine. made playing both right handed and left.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
The 1st time I ever tried that was in a tournament. I flipped my 56º over and hit the ball about 60 yards, coming up just short of the green. Like Lefty said, my playing partners loved it.

But I've tried it 3 times since then and have even come close to matching that result. Twice I was on the waters edge, had the choice of standing in the water of hitting left handed. Both times the ball shot left and landed in the water. The other time I did manage to advance the ball, but only and 10-15 yards.

My biggest problem is the grip, it just feels so weird gripping the club that way.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I can do it, but I don't make the best contact. It doesn't feel that weird honestly. I'm a right handed golfer, but when I played hockey.. I was the other way 'round.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I have hit several shots left handed, usually they are nothing special just a punch out back to the fairway, never more than 25-35 yds. But they get the job done. It is a shot that is helpful to have, but not exactly a high yeild shot in the grand scheme of things.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Can you use hte back of a club to do this? Or do you haev to hit the ball with the face?

I thought there was a rule about clubs that were ambidextrous?

OP
slickpitt

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Can you use hte back of a club to do this? Or do you haev to hit the ball with the face?

I thought there was a rule about clubs that were ambidextrous?

Hrm I don't know. I've seen Tour pros finish out putts with the back of the putter or the toe and such. As long as it's a strike, I would think you could use any part of the club head that you wanted.

🔥 Latest posts