• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hitting irons well finally...

monzter

Aug 7, 2008
I've been playing for about 3 months now and have been struggling hitting my irons the entire time. Other aspects of my game have improved. My drives have been going straighter (hit about 10 of 15 fairways where I used the driver today) and longer (anywhere from 240-270yds). My putting is better, was 3 putting almost every hole when I started playing and i'm down to about 36-38 putts per round now.

While at the range yesteray, I tweaked my backswing a bit and it was like a lightbulb went off and I began making consistent and solid contact with my irons (3 through 9). I hit my long irons particularly well...suprisingly. :)

So during todays round i'm hitting my drives, my irons, and my putts. But damn me if I couldn't hit one of my wedges well all day. I may have hit a handful of decent shots with my wedges all day.:real angry:

Ended up shooting a 113, my worst round in 4-5 weeks (been averaging about 105 my last few rounds out) BUT I did end the day on a positive note, shooting a 50 for the back 9 :D

I am hooked on this game....spent the worst/best 4 hours of my week out on the golf course today.

Sorry about the long rant but after struggling to hit my irons for the last 3 months it feels real good to be making consistent contact...was pin high on several holes today and landed within 4 feet of the flag on 3 holes today (par'd them all).

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I've been in an "iron funk" lately. I am going to tweak my backswing alittle. Basically use a slow backswing with my irons like I do with my driver and see what happens. :)

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I love it when properly hitting irons just "click" in your head...

I still remember when it happend to me...the change i made in the backswing was to only make a 3/4 swing with all irons...if i take a full "driver" swing i cannot make solid contact.

OP
M

monzter

Aug 7, 2008
I love it when properly hitting irons just "click" in your head...

I still remember when it happend to me...the change i made in the backswing was to only make a 3/4 swing with all irons...if i take a full "driver" swing i cannot make solid contact.

+1

Funny thing is I got the idea from a tip I saw on the Golf Channel about how far back to swing.

The tip said to stand over the ball and with your left hand (if you're a righty) straight out in front of your body, palm facing inside. Then move your left arm to the right accross your body as far as it goes until it stops feeling comfortable or you hit any kind of resistance. From that point just rotate your shoulders 90deg place your right hand on top of your left and that should be as far back as you go your backswing.

**Thats probably a very simple way of explaing something alot more complicated, but it worked for me**

I was trying to over rotate before and was probably over compensating my percieved "lack of backswing" by bending my left elbow too much causing all sorts of inconsistency's on the way down.

InTheWoods

Aug 20, 2008
My biggest issue with my irons is keeping the swing speed consistent. I'll start slow in the backswing and then overcompensate and try and crank it or slow down before contact. Many long range days trying to get the irons back in line.

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
dude! i made awesome contact problem was it was a huge hook... heres what i did no joke... i opened my stance for a fade and put the ball back in my stance... and now i play for what you can basically call a block draw... its amazing... my 8 iron goes 155 yards and i guess i got the idea from tom lehman... its like a baby draw but its amazing. like i guess it equates to im aiming way left but playing the block which has been surprisingly controllable for me. i made 2 birdies on my last 9 which is not unusual but the fashion i made them is what was so incredible to me... im more accurate now... i have one of those swings that wouldnt work for everyone but it works for me you know... i dunno i just figured it out a few days ago and just now got onto a computer to blab about it... sorry for jacking your thread i just wanted to let you know i know how you feel.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.