• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hitting it FAT...any advice....

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
Good morning, all. My biggest problem of all is hitting behind the ball too often. Some days are far better than others, but if there was one aspect of my game that is really screwing me, it's certainly the fat shots. I guess I have a tendency to "cast" the club which causes the subsequent aforementioned shot.

I was wondering if anyone out there has any unique drills, advice, hints, tips,etc..to help get rid of this horrible affliction. I understand that repetitive practice will certainly help, but in playing golf, I've learned that someone always has a different angle, or a different way of looking at things that might help out. It could be psychological or whatever, but anything is worth a try.

I think next time I go to the range, I might start choking up on the club. Would I be at risk of losing too much distance? Anyway, any bit of info would certainly help.

Thanks in advance!

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I can't tell you how to fix your swing but I'll throw in my $.02 anyway. I've been fighting casting as well and IMO you have to get rid of that first.

Any other compestations like choking up on the club just prolongs the real problem. There are a couple of us here who have been working with the Tour Tempo book and CD and I think with more practice that I won't be casting anymore. The drills in the book are very basic but effective.

Some of the better players here will probably have better advice to offer. Good luck.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
When I get the fats, it's from moving my head. Through the downswing and the "cast" of the club, you move your head towards the ground and bury the leading edge.

Try keeping your head still while chipping a few balls. Then, take stronger and stronger swings until you find your balance point where your head doesn't move and you're hitting the ball before the ground. It might take a bucket, but you'll get it.

Hope this helps, for what it's worth.

R35

OP
A

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
Dave,

Would you mind briefly explaining some of the drills you've been using? Thanks!

Rockford,

That makes sense. I'll give it a go next time I hit the range. Thanks!

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
rockford35 said:
When I get the fats, it's from moving my head. Through the downswing and the "cast" of the club, you move your head towards the ground and bury the leading edge.

R35

This is the cause AaA - without a doubt. Its head movement - usually in a forward/downward direction.

I suggest you get a bucket of balls and ask a friend to come and help.

Address the ball with a club in your hands. At the same time - ask your friend to hold your hair with one of his hands.

Hit the ball - while keeping your head still to avoid excessive pain.

Repeat approximately 300 times.

If you still have hair - the odds are excellent that you have solved your problem.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Bravo, I know you've explained the Y & L drill very well in a thread somewhere but can't rememeber which one. If you know could you link it for AaA?

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Having had fat shots being one of my biggest problems in my steps to improvement, and now having them almost eliminated, these are the things that I found affected this affliction in my own swing:

1. Straightening the right leg on the back swing and then bending it again on the downswing - this would cause me to (a) come over the top and (b) come down behind the ball if the knee bent further than it was at address. To fix this, I have worked very hard by (a) stretching all of the golf related muscles, particularly the adductors (inner thighs) (b) focusing very hard on doing nothing else but not straightening the leg on the backswing while at the range by kicking in the right knee a little before the backswing and then maintaining tension throughout the swing (c) practice with a ball or a piece of wood or something under the outside of the right foot to encourage keeping a bent knee (d) reducing my overall length of my backswing to a much more compact, effective, and powerful swing, without the need to "overturn" and thus straighten the leg

2. Casting - this has been prevented by getting my weight transfer in order - I find that if I'm transferring my weight properly because my wrists dont unhinge early, it's almost impossible to cast with a natural swing. To practice this, I do the "pump drill". This is where I slowly take the club to the top and then bring it down to where the arms are at 9:00 or lower, but still have the wrists hinged. I then continue on down to where my hands are almost back at the address position but still have the wrist cock (club basically pointed straight back at this point - key is to make sure that you're on plane at this point and not over the top at all). When I get to this position, my weight transfer should be well into play - basically where my hips are now pointing at a point about 4 feet or so in front of the ball. Then you take it back to the top and come back down slowly over and over, ensuring good position through. Do it three or four times and then continue with the weight transfer all the way through and your club will brush the grass right where it was at address with absolutely no casting. Plus, you'll have great weight transfer, excellent power, and clubhead speed.

3. Focus on the ball throughout the swing - this encourages the club to come back to the point of visual focus. Also, as Rock said, this will encourage your head to not be overly active, thus preventing you from getting out of position.

Look at this, you guys are benefitting from my lessons!

Hope it helps.

OP
A

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
Thanks for you tips, Silver! It's always good to hear what others are doing for their drills.

Bravo: seeing that my hair is already thinning, I'm gonna pass on your recommendation. However, I will be more conscious of my head movement. Thanks!

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
rockford35 said:
Y and L?

Uh, huh?

Maybe explain it for me too.

R35

These are in the Tour Tempo book...I cannot seem to find a description of them online.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
AaA, I can only give you some simple thoughts, because, well, the golf swing is a simple motion to understand, but difficult to apply...

1. Casting: when you release the club too early, is that it? Then in that case, keep a firm wrist in your downswing (I didn't say tight, nor grip).
2. Fat shot: instead of thinking "Hit down" like in the downswing, think "Hit forward" like in the forward swing.
Also, ball position is important (if ball is too centered, try placing it more to your front front).

Hope all the tips from the users here will help you.

OP
A

AaA

Feb 22, 2005
Thanks, Loop! I hope they help as well!

🔥 Latest posts