• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hitting off the toe?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
As some may know I have been working to stop my OTT and casting move. I have worked on some drills, some from you guys, and am now hitting my irons pretty well!

One thing I don't understand though is that I tend to hit the ball out towards the toe if the club. I had thought I was cutting across the ball with my swing, but I am not losing distance or slicing my irons. Gone are the high right pop ups. With longer clubs I am actually hitting draws now!

So, is this a function of length and lie maybe? I play Ping I3 blades blue dot (1* up) and .5" long. Should I adjust?

Thanks!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
As some may know I have been working to stop my OTT and casting move. I have worked on some drills, some from you guys, and am now hitting my irons pretty well!

One thing I don't understand though is that I tend to hit the ball out towards the toe if the club. I had thought I was cutting across the ball with my swing, but I am not losing distance or slicing my irons. Gone are the high right pop ups. With longer clubs I am actually hitting draws now!

So, is this a function of length and lie maybe? I play Ping I3 blades blue dot (1* up) and .5" long. Should I adjust?

Thanks!
How tall are you?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I've never attributed mis-hits to ill fitted equipment. (Did that makes sense? Words are hard. :p)

1st thing is 1st, check your set-up, posture and ball position.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I've never attributed mis-hits to ill fitted equipment. (Did that makes sense? Words are hard. :p)

1st thing is 1st, check your set-up, posture and ball position.
That's the thing though, they aren't mishits. The ball flight is generally high and on target, just off the toe.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I like those kind of mis hits then.
Then what's the problem? :p

I only judge my ballflight when it's hit flush. If you like the ballflight from toe shots then you might miss long and to the right when you hit it on the screws. When a ball is hit off the toe, it tends to go short left.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Have you tried addressing the ball off the heel?
Occasionally. Not much difference though, my ball marks are consistently off the toe.

🔥 Latest posts