• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hmm, Lyle.

Crossfire

PGA Apprentice
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2006
Been kicking around the idea of making a component set. Since you seem to be the buddah on this forum when it comes to components, i'd like to get your say. I want to keep everything under $1000 minus a putter. I'll probably grab another YES or cameron. I was liking the maltbys. Im thinking of going with a combo set. What do you think?

Maltby ct250 (or whatever it is) maybe a GD ys-7 in X
Maltby ct250 *15 GD ys-8.1 or some other monster heavy shaft.
Maltby CB 3-6 Project X 6.0
Maltby MMB 7-9
Wedges, im lost.

Really im just worried about the shafts in the woods, i trust that component heads will really perform atleast as well as OEM.
Any ideas, or things i should look for?

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
The M Series wedges are great, a forged head and some really aggressive grooves. Satin, Black Ion, or Chrome finish. The new CER Oil Soaked wedges are nice as well.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Sssssssssssssssssssellout.

what a hoser, everyone knows there's 2 t's in ssssssssssssssssssselloutt... :laugh:

edit: just checked the Golfworks site and Maltby has some pretty sweet looking offerings, good luck!!

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
if you're going to spend that much cash, go see a local clubfitter and try a bunch of shafts on the launch monitor - this should eliminate any doubt on which wood shafts - and you may improve distance and consistency

Once the fitter makes his recommendations, come back and post them for Lyle and the guys to approve based on the fitter's reasons for his recommendation:) (need to make sure the fitter isn't just a cutter/gluer)

I love the look of the maltby MTF irons and the m-45's (i think) - but I also know I'm not good enough to play the MMBs

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Crossfire

The CT250 is without a doubt the driver I would go with.
I would not choose the CT250 fairway woods howevr. They are not anywhere near as good as the driver is. For the the fairways I would go with the KE4 line. Very nice profile to them, easily adjustable for weight and quite long for fairway woods.
For irons if you want a mixed set I would take the MCC forged in 3-7 and go with the MMB in 8-PW. For the wedges I would agree entirely with Tmag, the M series all the way (see my sig). The project X shafts are a great choice as well as imo they are the best iron shafts bar none.
The woods shafts are very personal and should be fitted (as should the irons) to ensure they are right for you.
Your choices seem spot on so far so get out, get fitted and get this set together.
On a side note. I wish I was RH as I would be playing that very combo iron set myself.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Been kicking around the idea of making a component set. Since you seem to be the buddah on this forum when it comes to components, i'd like to get your say. I want to keep everything under $1000 minus a putter. I'll probably grab another YES or cameron. I was liking the maltbys. Im thinking of going with a combo set. What do you think?

Maltby ct250 (or whatever it is) maybe a GD ys-7 in X
Maltby ct250 *15 GD ys-8.1 or some other monster heavy shaft.
Maltby CB 3-6 Project X 6.0
Maltby MMB 7-9
Wedges, im lost.

Really im just worried about the shafts in the woods, i trust that component heads will really perform atleast as well as OEM.
Any ideas, or things i should look for?

Just wondering why you have decided on one line of product for your bag?

Why not consider other companies for various clubs?

What are your needs? For example are you looking for absolute distance with your driver or accuracy? What shafts are you considering and why?

Do you want playability with your irons or forgiveness?

I cringe when I see people asking for advice on club recommendations without anyone knowing what their needs are...LOL

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.