• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hmmmm. something to consider.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
My work hours at this plant are 0600 or 0700 to anywhere from 1700 to 1900, M thru F. Basically I'm here all the friggin time. Never get to play or even practice golf during the week. My tournament game has gone in the crapper as a result.

I do get paid time and a half for the overtime, though.

There is a bigger, nicer plant about 6 miles away that has an opening for a night shift PHV, and they are having a hard time filling it, probably because nobody wants to work night shift. Hours are 2100 (starting Sunday night) to 0600 (ending Friday morning.)

Much less overtime hours, but 10% night differential would come close to making it up.

I was thinking.....get off work at 0600, stop and get breakfast, be at the course by 0700, walk 9 or ride 18, get home by 1100, go to bed at 1200, get up at 2000 and go to work................

I just don't know if I could get used to working nights. Anybody else do this?

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
How will it effect your schedule with your lady and/or family? Is it worth that?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
You never get used to working nights Doc. I worked basically that exact shift for 3 1/2 years and yes, there is plenty of time for golf in the mornings. But you're to tired to play worth a crap.

Some people love that shift, my Dad worked it his whole life and couldn't understand why I hated it so much. But I'm a light sleeper, and trying to sleep during the day, I just never mastered it. I was a walking zombie from lack of sleep. I averaged maybe 4 hours a day, if I was lucky. That would go on for a couple of weeks until I'd sleep basically a entire day off to get caught back up. Rinse and repeat for 3 1/2 years.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
How will it effect your schedule with your lady and/or family? Is it worth that?

That to, everyone I know works a normal schedule, so I ended up never seeing most of my friends and family. I also ended up playing a lot of rounds of golf by myself. Either that or with the retired group. Want to play golf with a bunch of guys that think a 175 yard drive is something to celebrate with Geritol shots? :laugh:

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
That to, everyone I know works a normal schedule, so I ended up never seeing most of my friends and family. I also ended up playing a lot of rounds of golf by myself. Either that or with the retired group. Want to play golf with a bunch of guys that think a 175 yard drive is something to celebrate with Geritol shots? :laugh:

So, I'd be the big hitter in the group at 225 yards. :)

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005

Good point there. I'd hope you're only planning to do that a couple times a week.

Speaking from experience- I work 60-65 hours a week and still put in a lot of time working on my game. If I didn't have text messaging, I'd barely talk to anyone. Fortunately, or unfortunately for me, I guess, I don't have family to concern myself with.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I've worked midnights before and liked it. I would work 11pm to 7am... come home and go to bed... get up around 2 or 3 then have the afternoon to play golf. I think if you're going to do shift work nights is the way to go... you still get the evenings to spend with the family, you just work while they sleep... and sleep while they work.

I didn't have a problem adjusting to nights... but going from nights to days was tough lol

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
You guys sure know how to make me feel like a slacker. I might barely put in 40 hours a week, show up late, leave early sometimes... And I don't work when the sun is down. ;)
Doesn't affect my pay as I'm salary, but I don't even work weekends, or holidays. Working 60 hours a week can kiss my rear. 40 is pushin' it!

I still don't practice... :) Why do I feel like I don't have time??

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Worked Graveyards much of the time I was in College. Was really difficult to get used to a regular schedule after college, and even 20 years later, my sleep schedule can be really screwed up at times. May have had something to do with classes and studying as well, but when I worked graveyards my schedule even afterwards seemed to be on like a 28-30 hour day, where I had trouble getting to sleep unless I had been up a certain amount of time, and was up about 22-24 hours at a time. Many times unable to sleep in daylight.

I guess if you can get used to it and have 24 hour day it would be O.K., but I never could and was pretty much exhausted most of the time and would never do it again.

Also couldn't imagine if I did it for golf I would be able to get to sleep real easily after a round. I also was never real big on golfing right after work outside of practice, or maybe a 9 hole league, and could never take it real serious or stay focused for more than about 9 holes.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online