• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ho, Ho, Ho, FT-i............

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
You will pay £75 vat,£435 for it then

Crikey:)

Yes but the two I've seen on Ebay over here sold for £500+, so if I don't like it, as long as I make my mind up quickly (b4 the UK release date) theres a profit to be had. ;)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Why not wait 3 weeks and get one for half that price?

Good luck with the sale. Hopefully there are more fish in the sea like you. :D

R35

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Why not wait 3 weeks and get one for half that price?

Good luck with the sale. Hopefully there are more fish in the sea like you. :D

R35

The money's not an issue, If I hit it futher and straighter than my X Tour then I will be keeping it. If I struggle with 8.5 degrees then I will be moving it on before the launch date over here and getting a 9.5 when they are on genral sale. I believe that the pro's have all requested a lower loft than normal due to the spin theses things create, that may be why we've only seen the FT-5 on Tour so far.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I doubt you will hit it further. Straighter, forsure, but not further.

R35

It will be here this week so I'll let you know. I thought if it is so easy to hit straight then I'd be able to get after it a little more, increase the swing speed and the distance should increase as well, right?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
You will definately hit it straighter thanks to an increase in backspin. Further is very, very unlikely. The harder you swing, the more back spin your create, meaning straight and very high.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
You'd think so. But I think the FT-I is limited by it's technology. The ball goes straighter, but at a premium - distance.

It's not marketed as the longest driver out there, the Ft-5 is. It's marketed as the straightest driver they've ever made, and it's just that. Nothing more.

The Ft-i is for the guy that hits huge bananas, not for the guy that's unhappy with the occasional push to the rough. If you're hitting 10+ fairways a round, the Ft-I isn't for you.

R35

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
You'll probably do well with the 8.5. I hit one of the knock offs of that club and it looked like I was hitting wedges. It imparts a lot of spin on the ball. It does go very straight. In fact you'll have a difficult time if you like to work the ball because it pretty much won't do anything but go straight.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
In one of the magazines anyway over here it said 87% hit straighter, and 65% hit it further

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
In one of the magazines anyway over here it said 87% hit straighter, and 65% hit it further

I read that in Today's golfer and I'm pretty sure KJ Choi was hitting the Nike Square driver futher when he won with the proto type one he used last year.

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
yeah... urrrm, surely less sidespin = more distance!? coupled with a lower loft required, to reduce backspin, gotta = MORE distance?!

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Improvements of 87 and 65%.

I suspect thats a load of gonads.I bet they FIT the testers for the first time in their lives on the range,right shaft,loft,even grip,certainly a shorter length.Given most of these players will be flailing away with a 46" driver with the wrong shaft and loft,given a properly fitted plank of wood they would all hit it longer and further.The club may very well do what its says on the tin,but to suddenly find techology that is 87% better than the last when they are near MOI limits and at COR is mind-boggingly weapons grade bollocks.And just because its square? Utter nonsense.The first BIg Bertha didn't improve on persimmon by these stats so its not in the slighest bit credible these square clubs can improve a golfer by 87 and 65%.

Consider one thing,a recent UK bag did a ball test,hitting 6 drives with each ball,and testing over 30 balls.Year on year the distance increase was less than a yard.

Manshester me old mucker,the X Tour you have is a superb driver.A mate has one and it just spins to much for me,but its a great driver and stupidly easy to hit.I cannot see that the square thing will improve on one of the drivers out there.You don't see many X Tour owners giving up their club,similar to the old Titleist 983

winders

Sep 23, 2006
dave,

I don't know about the Callaway FT-i.

But, the Nike Sasquatch Sumo 2 has a 14 percent higher MOI than the Nike Sasquatch Sumo. Considering the Sumo has a higher MOI than the current Sasquatch 460, that means the Sumo 2 is going to be significantly more forgiving to off center hits than the Sasquatch 460 which is an already forgiving to off center hits club.

If you consider that most players lose distance off their drives to off center hits, it isn't so hard to see how the Sumo 2 will cause most players to add distance to their drives. If you would compare perfect, on center, hits between the Sasquatch 460, Sumo, and Sumo 2, I suspect you would see very little difference in drive length. But most golfers don't regularly come up with perfect, on center, hits with their driver.

Add in the equation that higher MOI clubs impart less side spin on off center hits and it is not so hard to see how players would hit these higher MOI clubs straighter.

So dave, if you want to live in a world where every driver hit is a perfect one, then you are right, it is a load of gonads. But, that is not reality. The gains these higher MOI drivers provide are real.

Scott

🔥 Latest posts