• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hockey is coming back....

Massimo

Captain Obvious
May 31, 2005
About freakin' time.... I am tired of watching about every sport that ESPN can come up with... It seems that most people get their kicks from re-runs of the World Series of Poker (awesome by the way, but I think I have seen every tourney), Bass fishing tourneys, and -- Hell, I watched Lawnmower racing the other day......

Go Red Wings........

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
Yawn... (not about the post, but about hockey coming back). In my older age I'm becoming interested ONLY in golf and not in sports where millionares complain about not making enough dough...

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
mediaguru said:
Yawn... (not about the post, but about hockey coming back). In my older age I'm becoming interested ONLY in golf and not in sports where millionares complain about not making enough dough...

You know, that's a good point.

Football in the UK is another example. There's one Man United player that the club stood by constantly throughout a 9-month suspension (player failed to turn up for a scheduled drug test), and now this b'stard is refusing to sign a new contract - he's being offered GBP100k per week - that's US$175k. Per week. And he wants more. I'd give him more. A fecking size 9 boot up his backside and tell him tae feck off.

OP
Massimo

Massimo

Captain Obvious
May 31, 2005
It's not that bad in hockey. I can't stand to see an 18-year old finish high school (barely) and go straight to a NBA team making 5-20 million a year. The kid could barely get thru algebra and now he has a multi-million dollar company based around him.

Look at Tiger. Last year he had an estimated 80 million salary. What, maybe 2% of that came from PGA tour winnings. But, he spent time in college, learning how to manage money, assets, etc.

Hockey players are some of the lowest paid professionals in sports. To me, it's about how much people love their sport. Hockey players are like golfers, their life is their sport. They don't change teams or go to the highest bidder as much as other sports. They have a sense of loyalty......

Go to a hockey game... It's as exciting as watching Daly Tee-off or wondering if Sergio is going with Bright Red pants or jst plain-old Plaid......

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
im gald hockey is back.the new rules ought to make it a little more interesting for the people that dont follow hockey.scoring is going to be up.

i wish they didnt go to the shoot out.that is pretty much gonna render the point system moot and i like that about hockey.

GO BRUINS !!!!!!!!!!

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
thats a good thing about golf, aside from the endorsement deals.. how much you get depends upon how you do week in week out, rather than a guy that isn't out there for the sport anymore

goes to show ya how great of a movie "the replacements" is

Golfbum

THAT'S SOLID
Jan 14, 2005
goatster said:
im gald hockey is back.the new rules ought to make it a little more interesting for the people that dont follow hockey.scoring is going to be up.

i wish they didnt go to the shoot out.that is pretty much gonna render the point system moot and i like that about hockey.

GO BRUINS !!!!!!!!!!

Why do you think a shoot out ruins the Point System? All it will do is decide which teams gets 2 points and which team gets 1 point. Pretty simple. They have used it in JR B hockey in my area for 6 years and the fans love it. It is exciting to watch.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
well its seems to me that with a garuted winner they would do away with it and just go with a games system like all other sports do.but it still does sort of kill the suspense of a possible tie.

but i can also see where a shootout might be exciting.i guess im just a traditionalist.

caddyshackgolf

Be The Ball
Feb 22, 2005
Well I am happy that hockey is coming back. It gets tiring watching basketball in winter(thank god for the golf channel lol).

What are the new rules I haven't herd of these?

GO DEVILS

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
goalies are getting smaller pads
they also are cutting down the area that a goalie can handlae the puck(haha broudour)
no more red line so there isnt any more two line pass calls
tag up offsides
if you ice the puck you cannot change lines
there also talking about moving the blue lines back towards center 5 or 10 feet
shootout to gaurantee a winner
thats what i can comeup with off the top of my head not sure of any others.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
no tag icing, no?

Personally, I could give half a crap that hockey is back. It was kinda nice not having to hear endless useless Canucks news all the time.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Shoot outs suck. Plain and simple.

Being an avid fan and player, no one that plays the game wants it to be decided by one person when the team has played so hard to win.

Decide the game by playing until someone scores. Worried about planes and buses? Make exceptions.

When I went to the double overtime Flames/Canucks game during last seasons playoffs, I felt as tho the 154 dollar price tag on the ticket was more than justified.

Had I seen a shootout, I would have felt ripped off.

Remember, hockey is a sport. It's for the fans, who pay salaries through ticket and concession/merchandise purchases. Shoot outs will get very, very old in a short amount of time, just you wait. Especially if the league lapses into their shitty defensive minded game strategy and penalty calling schemes.

That in lies the problem with so many tie games. Call more penalties, create more scoring chances.

What's wrong with scoring goals?

Shoot outs.....no thank you...

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
A shoot out sounds more like something that would go on in Texas than a hockey game. Do they turn there backs and walk 10 paces first?

But then I know exactly jack about hockey.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
A shoot out is when you go through 60 minutes of tough hockey, followed by 5 minutes of 4 on 4 (they usually play 5 on 5, 3 forwards and 2 defencemen) and then settle the game by having the top 5 shooters on each team go one on one with the goalie.

It's total crap. Even in the Olympics.

No team sport should be won or lost by one person, whether that be the goalie or one player.

Remember Paul Kayria a few years back for Canada? His lacklustre attempt basically gave the Czechs the gold medal.

It's the worst - THE WORST - way to lose a game.

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
So first they have a lock-out and then they change the rules to piss off the fans and probably the players too.

These guys sound brilliant.

We've had a minor league team, (is that right) in Austin for a few years but I've never gone to see a game. Maybe I'll check it out this year.

🔥 Latest posts