• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

HO'ed yet another Gadget!!

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Can you hit driver over that bunker on the right side of the fairway??
The hole is 420 yards from the tips and it is likely only 30 yards from the green over that trap. 98% of the people I have played with would not reach the trap on the left. That is usually where I aim. Longest I have ever been was just short of the trap on the right. There are 3 other traps down there, and if you are right of of the single tree you are dead.

Kinda funny with that elevation, I can hit a 4 iron about as far as my driver from up there. Although from that elevation the driver is usually a more consistent shot.

There is a picture of it from down below in the thread I linked.

While that is one of my favorite holes in golf, there are a few like that in this area. Another of my favorite courses has 2 like that including this par 5
10thgod1.jpg

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I read a bit about the Sarnoff Corporation, who is responsible for the sensing circuit in this thing. They certainly do make some cutting-edge stuff. And I know that there are chips out there that can do a pretty amazing job at discriminating objects. I'm curious to see how well this thing works. I can't really see it as anything more than a "gadget" however, unless you were a retiree who did nothing bu hunt balls all day. I mean, how many golf balls will you have to find to pay for this thing?

Pretty cool toy if it works.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
It shipped and will get it on Friday, before the weekend round. May have to take a venture in the woods on Friday.

Cost is probably the big thing that keeps it from taking off if it works. Again though, for me it is a convenience thing and more a matter of saved time. I think most would be foolish to buy it if it were thinking of it in the sense of saving golf balls.

Although if I find alot more expensive balls now from others misfortune, it may be worth it even as a matter of cost. This is one of those courses where everytime you walk in the woods you may walk out with 2-3 balls but not your own.

As much as I play, it would not surprise me if I went through about 20-30 dozen golf balls in a year. Although many of those may be in places I would not even bother to venture to look. On any other course that number would likely be 3-4 a year.

Something else on here that is a big selling point for me is that it has a 5 minute sleep timer. It shuts off when 5 minutes is up. I figure if I am fronting the cost in the sense of also helping others look, when their 5 minutes is up, I will be leaving the woods and discontinuing the search. If they continue after the 5 minutes, I would likely not help out the next time. Kind of a nice reminder as I believe many people (my self included) do not realize how short 5 minutes is while in the woods, and a nice way to say "The device shut off, your 5 minutes are up".

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I take it that these things are banned from competitions, and so forth ?

I would be interested in getting one of these in the future myself. There are one or two of the caddies at my club that make a good bit off selling balls that they find. I'm sure one of these things would interest them, also....:)

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I take it that these things are banned from competitions, and so forth ?​

I did see a little info on that, but am yet to see a real clear answer to that question, but have only looked briefly what I have seen seems to be a matter of interpretation.

As far as the USGA, I really see nothing that would make it illegal, since you are doing nothing to the ball. What I have read was more in relation to the R&A and I believe they said it was O.K, but this based on other people. But kinda foggy for tournament use, similar to a GPS.

14-3 Artificial Devices and Unusual Equipment
The United States Golf Association (USGA) reserves the right, at any time, to change the Rules relating to artificial devices and unusual equipment and make or change the interpretations relating to these Rules.
A player in doubt as to whether use of an item would constitute a breach of Rule 14-3 should consult the USGA.
A manufacturer may submit to the USGA a sample of an item to be manufactured for a ruling as to whether its use during a stipulated round would cause a player to be in breach of Rule 14-3. The sample becomes the property of the USGA for reference purposes. If a manufacturer fails to submit a sample before manufacturing and/or marketing the item, the manufacturer assumes the risk of a ruling that use of the item would be contrary to the Rules.
Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment:
(a) That might assist him in making a stroke or in his play; or(b) For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect his play; or(c) That might assist him in gripping the club, except that:(i) plain gloves may be worn;(ii) resin, powder and drying or moisturizing agents may be used; and(iii) a towel or handkerchief may be wrapped around the grip.Penalty for Breach of Rule 14-3:
Disqualification.​

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Just sent e-mail to USGA to see if they have made a determination.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Never got the e-mail back from the USGA, but it makes little difference.

This thing is a bust IMO and is going back this week for the 30 day money back guarantee. I used it for several rounds and I figure it found only one golf ball that I did not see first. I found about 15-20 that it did not even sense. It also had far more false readings than my eyes.

Oh well, either I have really good eyes for finding lost golf balls, or this thing is not worth the effort. To be real honest, I would probably have better luck without the thing because I felt like I had to slow down my search technique to give it a chance to read.

Not sure how Nick Faldo will feel about this, but I tend to believe he should have spent a little more time using the device prior to giving the endorsement. I guess if you have a caddie to find the ball on errant shots, it may seem more worthwhile.

I would maybe give it a 2 on a scale from 1 to 10 simply because of the five minute timer. Otherwise it would likely be a 1.

I really feel I would be better off finding my ball without the device, as it seems to be more of a distraction than any thing else.

How is that for a review. :)

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Just thought I would pass forward that I did receive a response back from the USGA on my question about whether this would be legal in tournament play. Although their response indicated to refer to 14-3/14 which would provide the answer. 14-3/14 is in direct relation to a ball with a chip, using a receiver (like the radar golf device), which IMO really does not address this device, as it is a normal ball. Although it would probably lead me to believe they would deem this device illegal as well and classify it as one in the same??
Decisions on the Rules of Golf

So for lack of seeing the importance of following up on this any further, because as I have already indicated the device has gone back and is not something I would recommend anyone spending the money for this device, I am not going to follow up and further waste their time. Just thought I would pass on their response though.

🔥 Latest posts