• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hogan Apex Plus

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
We must have different opinions on face wear Rock,in that picture they look perfectly acceptable to me

GUITARNUTTERUK

Sep 3, 2007
nice one mate, i got a set of hogan apex PCs for 32 pound!!!! off evil bay i couldnt believe it, they are awsome i sacked my TP 11's off for them bar my trusty 1 iron. they are great clubs. dont tell anyone else or the price will go up LOL

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
The Apex Plus' arrived. The shafts were not Apex after all (listing only specified stiff, but I was willing to gamble at that price) and were actually an Apollo shaft. The grips indeed needed to be replaced, they were some old winns that look like someone either played way too long with them or attempted to sand them. They were in horrible shape exactly as the decscription lead me to beleive. The biggest surprise was the tip size on the shaft. They were .370 unitized and not the .355 Taper I was expecting.

I decided to pull the 3 iron head off to get a better idea what I was looking at, and much to my astonishment, the hosel looked factory drilled. Either they came from Hogan that way or someone reamed them properly. That made my day. I immediately pulled the remaining Hogan heads, cleaned them up and set them aside and then did the same to my Tour Cavity Pro's in order to salvage the Rifle 5.5's out of them. I just finished cleaning up the Rifles and need to make a run out to GS in the morning for some additional Lamking DD TC grips so I can get these puppies spined, installed, and gripped for the first round of testing.

The head condition of the Hogans was better than I expected. Limited bag chatter, no wear spots on the face, and just a small ding on the leading edge of the 8 iron. If all goes well, I will be able to give them a trial run early next week.

If anyone wants the Apollo shafts with the worn out Winns, just let me know. I am willing to part with them on the cheap. I have no idea which model they are, but they are not the Shadow or the Hump based on the step pattern.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
That's great news on the Hogan hosels being .370 parallel. Certainly increases your chances of finding a good shaft and of matching the frequencies.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
That's great news on the Hogan hosels being .370 parallel. Certainly increases your chances of finding a good shaft and of matching the frequencies.

Yupper, I got so excited about it I pulled two sets of iron heads off the shafts in about 40 mins! :laugh:

I have been debating pulling the Rifle 5.5's in my Tour Cavity Pro's for a few weeks now, but always dread pulling the heads. Its not a difficult process, but its not my favorite part of club making/repair. My Tour Cavity Pro's had been shafted prior to my purchase of JB's spine tool, so they were not spined/aligned like some of my more recent acquisitions. I was going to just pull the Rifles, spine/align them, and re-install with 30g back weights as an experiment, but now that the Apex Plus are here they are getting the Rifles and will get a chance to be the test bed for the Tour Lock Pro backweight experiment.

Hopefully by the end of today, I will have those Rifles in the Apex plus heads and ready to go for a range session tomorrow or Monday. I just gotta run out to GS and get some more Lamkin DDTC's so I can complete the assembly.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.