• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

hogan edge cft's...

equipmentjunkie

Feb 11, 2007
any of you guys hit these things? My ball striking has been worse this year than last and I think I'm gonna get a set that'll help me out a little bit. I'm looking at the cft's, ping i5, macgregor m565, and callaway x20 tours. Any other suggestions or experience with these irons?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
The Mac m565 are very easy to hit and feel pretty good with the rifle shafts

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I play the CFT Hogans. See my signature. Can be had at a very good price on ebay (mine 3-E wedge $167 shipped) for a top quality iron set. Very forgiving iron. Apex shaft is a product by Royal Precision (Rifle shafts). I went with PX to bring trajectory down but Apex shaft is very good.

I went to driving range and compared irons you mentioned plus TM R7 and Cleveland HiBore. The CFT and Pings were tied but when I looked at price it was Hogans hands down. Good forgiveness yet I could work ball. I play to a 6 hcp from a 10 with the help of these irons. Iron play especially distance control is now the strength of my game!:)

My son also has gone to CFT rather than his Mizuno blades. He is serious golfer who again saw is scores drop with these cavity backs. Quite simply I love these irons.

Some golfers may not like the offset and wider sole of the irons but my first quality set was Callaway x-14 so was a natural for me.

Overall CFT or R7 would be my choice with no looking back.

Good luck

swartzd

Nov 29, 2006
LOVE my 565's. Clearly the best irons I've EVER hit and a steal too. Rifle shafts, forged heads, ahhh!:)

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I had a set of Hogan CFTs with the Apex graphite shaft about 3 years ago. I loved the look of them, but be aware that some of the heads have significant offset. That offset, coupled with my way too handsy swing (at the time) led to some pretty amazing hook shots.

OP
E

equipmentjunkie

Feb 11, 2007
are they offset like say a slingshot oss or are they more comparable to something like a cg4 or x18? thanks for the replies.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Have not played irons you have mentioned. Offset like X-16 yes. I have no troubles switching back and forth from large offset irons to tradition setup. A couple a swings before putting them in bag and making sure my pre shot set up is right and I'm good to go. I routinely do this within a week of play just for fun.

Do the Adams irons you have listed have an offset??? Would not worry about it too much unless you tend to draw the ball and your mistake spin is to the hook side. If your mistake is to the fade side the offset will help. For me to shape the shot with these irons I need to step up my action. Generally forgiving straight shots. A bit on the heavy side but I like my irons to have that feel. For a lighter club the R7 or R7 draw is good. The weight of the 565 was similar to the CFT.

All those choices you listed are good irons. If you get a chance hit the CFT o at your favorite golf shop or try the Hogan BH irons. They look like they would feel similar to the CFT but not as forgiving.

OP
E

equipmentjunkie

Feb 11, 2007
yeah my miss is always to the left.....the adams are offset a little bit but their more like a players cavity.....a little bit like a titleist 755 or an apex plus or something. My ball striking has just been terrible, a lot of toe shots and it's ruining my scores.

🔥 Latest posts