• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hogan Irons

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I am looking at a set of Hogan Apex FTX irons and just wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I am looking for a forged transition/combo set and was told these fit that category. Any info would be great.

Jason

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
Hogans are the preetiest Irons ever, and They are prob the softest ive hit and they are so quiet i thought i took a practice swing.. Very interesting good luck

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I was looking at the FTX's for a while but could not turn down the deal I got on a set of Hogan Apex Plus irons. I am loving my Apex Plus' so far as I have been able to lower my ball flight a bit, still have some forgiveness, and have that "feel" I have been looking for. Not quite as sweet as the Mizuno MP-60's I have been coveting, but at a quarter of the price of a used set of MP-60's the Hogans were a much better value. I was originally a bit concearned with the feel of the clubs when I went to the range as the rock hard range balls felt a bit harsh, but once I played a round with my Stratas the feel I was looking for was there.

Hogans are quality clubs, but just check the condition of the heads (as with most forged offerings) prior to purchase to see if they have excessive wear on the face. Good pictures will show this, in person is better if you have that opportunity. No sense getting a good deal on a set of clubs whose grooves are worn smooth.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I had a set briefly. They were beautiful and relatively easy to hit, but I needed the money more than I needed another set of irons. :)

Check the faces carefully for wear and don't pay more than $300 or so for almost new ones.

OP
SCGolfer

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
thanks for the info
these have had very little play and I think I will be able to snag them for fairly cheap

Jason

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Hogan's are great irons. I play CFT and Apex Plus. Have played mizzy and Callaway irons also. My iron play has improved with the Hogans. Apex stock shafts are good. VERY under priced for their quality.

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
I agree with Zaphod. I played with Hogan Edge CFT irons a couple of years ago, and they were ridiculous easy to hit, and very nice feel. When I wanted to upgrade from those, the first irons I looked to were the Hogan FTX. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford them at the time (the $175 I paid for my Wilson Staff's (new) was a no brainer), but they are undoubtedly one of the finer clubs on the market. Plus, with the newest line of Hogan irons (which I have not hit, but have no reason to think they are anything but the highest quality), the Apex FTX irons should be able to be found for reasonably cheap.

My only problem with my Hogans: the shaft. I don't disagree with Zaphod that the stock Apex shaft is fine (it was made by Royal Precision before they were bought out by True Temper), but I found it to be very light, and the ballflight is absurdly high. And I like a high ballflight. But I had the Regular flex, so the stiff flex may be lower.

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
Never hit them, but I have hit the Apex line. These were fantastic feeling and even better looking when I hit them. If you want Hogans, fantastic line in my opinion. :idhitit:

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
The FTX are one of the sweetest looking clubs I've ever seen, but I think it may be a stretch calling them 'transition' or 'combo' clubs. Even the long irons look pretty much like blades without much of a cavity to me. I would categorise them more as muscle back blades than combos. I think they would be great clubs, but for players with more game than me. I also would shy away from them because I don't have time to practice, and only play once a week. No wonder I suk.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Actually,I have always found the cast Hogans to feel a bit hard,nowhere near as good as Pings which are truly hard to tell between cast and forged.Bt Hogan forged blades are a different beast,again its not always the feel thats the big difference its the combination of low bounce,weaker lofts,zero offset and a smaller sweetspot.Truly a mans club,but worth at least half your handicap if you aint swinging well

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Fitzpatrick is right about the apex shafts. Royal Precision constructed and high launch. However if this fits your profile great. I am a high ball hitter so I have re shafted my sets. At the price you pay for irons the re shaft is an easy option IMHO.

swartzd

Nov 29, 2006
I LOVE my MacGregor M565's. Forged, forgiving, minimal offset, Rifle shafts, beautiful and simply awesome performance and forgivness. A true steal at less than $250. Best deal going. Check out the reviews on the net.

🔥 Latest posts