• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hogan's Five Lessons

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So, I have been struggling with my swing lately. I just feel uncomfortable over the ball. I did the unthinkable and started watching instruction vids. This led to me moving my left hand grip more into my fingers. This seemingly made things worse. I played Monday and irons were ok but off the tee was embarrassing.

Anyway, I dug out my Hogans Five Lessons book today and reread the grip section. Move the grip in my left hand back up under the heel pad and moved my right hand more on top of the club. I didn't get to hit full shots but 3/4 shots were flush and penetrating.

Moral of the story: Get Hogans book if for nothing more than the grip section!

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
United States United States
Oh man, Jim, you are on a slippery slope! I love 5 lessons but try and only read it about ever 3 years!

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Oh man, Jim, you are on a slippery slope! I love 5 lessons but try and only read it about ever 3 years!
It's been about 3 years and I only ever read the part on the grip.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
What kind of grip do you use then?
I think they call it 10 finger. Not a baseball grip because my left thumb is in my right lifeline so my hands still work as one. I don't actually know if it's noticeable to others or not. A few people here have seen me swing a club, maybe they can weigh in???

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I think they call it 10 finger. Not a baseball grip because my left thumb is in my right lifeline so my hands still work as one. I don't actually know if it's noticeable to others or not. A few people here have seen me swing a club, maybe they can weigh in???
I doubt it's noticeable at all.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I doubt it's noticeable at all.
Shouldn't be... my grip is relatively the same as the others except my right pinkie is snugged up against my left pointer finger rather than in between it and my left middle finger. When I read that section of the book I tried to incorporate all the other parts of the grip other than the overlap.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I can go either way, interlocking feels better but overlapping works too.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Did you see Tommy Gainey showing what's her name his 10 finger grip. Grips like nut only his right palm looks like it points at the sky. He really is good with it though. Goes to show those who do it their own way (Furyk, Trevino, Gainey, and others) can get the job done.

And I like Faldo's book and use his grip.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Did you see Tommy Gainey showing what's her name his 10 finger grip. Grips like nut only his right palm looks like it points at the sky. He really is good with it though. Goes to show those who do it their own way (Furyk, Trevino, Gainey, and others) can get the job done.

And I like Faldo's book and use his grip.
No, but I saw her listening. That chick is a BABE. I'd love to get playing lessons from her.

Members online

No members online now.