• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Hollow body irons...?

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Anyone been playing hollow irons for a while? Care to comment on your experience? What pros and cons have you experienced?

I just put a set of the Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades together--PW-7--on Matrix Ozik Program F15 80 gram graphite shafts. Also put together a couple of Integra i-Drive hybrids (5 and 6) on the same shafts.

Mainly... I have rheumatoid arthritis and hit down into the ball with my irons, so the shoulders, elbows, wrists and hands just don't hold up well anymore. Hoping the shafts and heads make a difference.

Feels seems great hitting into the net. Every club seems stupid easy to hit. I expect to gain quite a bit of distance, but worry about consistency of distance--i.e. distance control.

Anyone have experience with playing hollow body irons?

Thanks all!

dynacraft-mb-iron-cavity_8.jpg

7505D74A-B0E9-4B30-9AAB-00C8DC5FBFC1.jpg

71h4QQ-f%2BhL._AC_SL1023_.jpg

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I bought two sets of Tour Edge CBX iron-wood sets when they were on close out with Project X graphite shafts. I love them so far, but be aware I barely play golf these days.

I found the distance control to be very similar to TM RSi2 irons I replaced. Granted, playing so infrequently, my distance control is not very precise to begin with, but I did not experience any drastic difference in distance control with a well struck shot. Hosel rockets are just as unpredictable as with regular irons. ;)

I am at the point in my game we’re I need all the help I can get and would definitely recommend hollow body irons. If I did not go with the Tour Edge, I probably would have tried Cleveland’s version of hollow body irons.

OP
bdcrowe

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I bought two sets of Tour Edge CBX iron-wood sets when they were on close out with Project X graphite shafts. I love them so far, but be aware I barely play golf these days.

I found the distance control to be very similar to TM RSi2 irons I replaced. Granted, playing so infrequently, my distance control is not very precise to begin with, but I did not experience any drastic difference in distance control with a well struck shot. Hosel rockets are just as unpredictable as with regular irons. ;)

I am at the point in my game we’re I need all the help I can get and would definitely recommend hollow body irons. If I did not go with the Tour Edge, I probably would have tried Cleveland’s version of hollow body irons.

That's my thought as well. It's not like I'm terribly precise as it is. lol

Thanks for the feedback.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Interesting article on hollow body irons. TESTED: Hollow body irons | Today's Golfer

I tried the Taylor Made ICW line in the 90's. They felt dead and didn't last long in the TM line. My most recent experience was with a set of MP20 Mizunos. Picked them up a couple years ago. They felt pretty good, but I didn't like the shafts in them. According to the linked article, many top line manufacturers have or are introducing hollow body irons. Glue 'em. Play 'em. Enjoy 'em!!!!!

OP
bdcrowe

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Interesting article on hollow body irons. TESTED: Hollow body irons | Today's Golfer

I tried the Taylor Made ICW line in the 90's. They felt dead and didn't last long in the TM line. My most recent experience was with a set of MP20 Mizunos. Picked them up a couple years ago. They felt pretty good, but I didn't like the shafts in them. According to the linked article, many top line manufacturers have or are introducing hollow body irons. Glue 'em. Play 'em. Enjoy 'em!!!!!
Haven't played mine on course, but I'm excited about the thought. They feel weird but great into the net. Easy on the old joints. I'll report back as I play them. Thanks for the feedback.

🔥 Latest posts