• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Home from Texas.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Got home last night, long assed drive. Weather down there was fantastic, mid to upper 70's & actually managed to wear shorts. Only got to play 2 rds of 9 holes at Stewarts pennisula but it was better than nothing & wow did I ever suck. Haven't played since Oct & for some damn reason on the 1st hole I couldn't get a drive off the tee to save my life. Didn't keep score with that rd but I am sure it was upper 50's. Went back 2 days later & played much better but still pretty crappy & squeeked out a 49. The fairways were nice & brown but the greens were a beautiful green & in nice shape.

Anyways it was enough to tell me that I still need a lot of practice, for some reason on the 1st day I was shanking a lot of shots & that's something that I pretty much never do.

Overall it's good to be home though & am now anxiously awaiting the return of warm weather here. Could never live in the Dallas area, way too much traffic.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Welcome back. Don't get discouraged by the play, no big deal. I've been to FL twice durning the winter and played like crap both times. Hit a few really good shots but more really bad ones. It gives you something to work on once you can get out to the range and I promise you'll be better off this at the courses you're familiar with because of it. I got all bent out of shape last year when I went to FL. After that I decided not to worry about it anymore away from home, just have fun and enjoy playing golf instead of being stuck inside, forget about score. Glad you had a safe trip.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Oh I am not worried about the scores at all, I was getting pissed at myself on that 1st hole though. Lost the 1st 2 balls I hit, both in the water & was ready to just throw a ball down the fairway. Figured I would be rusty & decided to not even keep score since it just felt good to get out & hit a few balls not on a range.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Experience... I played 3 times and hit all 3 "first drives" in play... with a 3iron.
icon10.gif
Drivers don't work after being taken across state lines. I hear you though. Nothing worse than losing those 1st 2 shiny new balls I spent such care marking so perfectly... and haven't even gotten through the 2nd hole, lol.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Couple of pics I took of the course, it's on a pennisula & most of the holes are surrounded by or cross over water. The lighthouse is actually the clubhouse.
100_0327.jpg
100_0328.jpg
100_0330.jpg
100_0331.jpg

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
WG, I hate you!! :D sssmokin and I will be going down about half as far as you did in a couple weeks (Kentucky).

:)

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Dormant Bermuda grass.............that's what we'll be seeing in 3 weeks. Just seeing any kind of grass again after this winter will be great. :)

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
What's strange is there is a grass they can plant which will remain green all winter long & we saw quite a bit of it there, but most of the people don't want it because they get tired of mowing.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Yep, my home course looks like crap, well it did, it's been warm enough here lately that the grass is actually starting to turn green again. But I pulled the old "I'm thinking about joining your country club trick", and played a round a few weeks back at one of the nicer CC's around here. It was unreal, everything was green and in perfect shape. I guess the muni's just don't want to be bothered or don't have the budget?

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Yep, my home course looks like crap, well it did, it's been warm enough here lately that the grass is actually starting to turn green again. But I pulled the old "I'm thinking about joining your country club trick", and played a round a few weeks back at one of the nicer CC's around here. It was unreal, everything was green and in perfect shape. I guess the muni's just don't want to be bothered or don't have the budget?

I drove past a couple of the nicer courses..aka "more expensive" & some of them were completely green but most were just like this one. I was a bit shocked at the price to play 9 holes here, website I believe states $29 during the week, but since it's still winter it costs a whopping $15 with a cart! I can suck on expensive courses just as easily as a cheap one so I figured why not save some $$?

shanker

Feb 11, 2008
I played twice in the Rio Grande Valley this winter. Fine golf weather down there.
I gotta ask. Is one of those gals in you avatar you?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.